Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

give me your opinion on the rugger 454 Alaskan super redhawk revolver?

Favorite Answer

I own a super redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel (my wife gave it to me in 2001). I love it. It is a hoot to shoot with 45 long colts in it. It's like a big 22. 454's on the other hand, and that thing is a cannon. I've shot a buffalo with it (bison). It was dead before it hit the ground. After seeing mine, my buddy bought a Alaskan model last year. He loves it. It really is in a class by itself. I'd recommend staying with the 454, simply because it is a joy to shoot with 45's. I'll bet that I shoot a whole box of 45's for every round of 454. As far as I know, the 480 does not have the advantage of shooting a smaller caliber. You could handload it down, but if you don't handload, you're stuck with a cannon. Either way, Ruger makes a first class revolver.

Ruger has always made a tough utilitarian revolver, the 454 alaskan is no exception. It's a howitzer of a caliber, but you can shoot a much tamer 45 colt through the pistol with no worrys. The 454 is a dangerous game cartridge, with a hefty recoil. The 45 colt is a manstopper with nominal recoil.

If I lived where the local critters might view me as lunch, I'd want one. I'm not sure I wouldn't get one of the 480's, which seem to have been discontinued this year. In my part of the world, lesser "forty-somethings" are more than adequate.

Or, if I had the bucks, I'd get a 475 Linebaugh as a companion piece to the Winchester Model 71. As a matter of fact, I might have to get another 71 and rework it into 450 or 416 Alaskan.

I fired the Alaskan model (snubby) in .454- surprisingly, recoil wasn't too bad. They're very solidly built guns, and accurate too.

A bonus is you can fire .45 colt bullets when you want cheaper or less powerful ammo.

.454 should be powerful enough to deal with anything that walks on this continent.

I like it very much. It is sturdy, reliable, and more than accurate enough for its intended use. And you can shoot .45 Colt rounds in it too, if you want it to kick less.

Source(s): Personal experience, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA Benefactor Member, firearms instructor for over 35 years, avid hunter and shooter (with modern rifle, modern handgun, black powder rifle and handgun, airgun, and bow) for over 45 years, dog owner and wildlife watcher for over 46 years. Ice, rock, and mountain climber for over 38 years, rock and ice climbing and wilderness survival instructor for over 35 years.

ruger... they make the best guns all around always.

" I'd buy a rifle " Col. Cooper.