Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

Motorcyclists, how does it feel driving in the rain when the weather is cold?

Favorite Answer

Wet is generally ok, cold is ok, wet and cold is pretty miserable unless you are dressed for it. Im with bike for life, I enjoy being the only rider on the road. 3 of us rode over Donner Pass near Truckee, California in December a couple years ago. It was 23F and 18 inches of snow. Next morning in Reno, Nevada we set out for Loughlin, Nevada the temp was 29F. It can be done but dress is important.

I wear cortech as it will take more water than leather and still keep u warm. I recommend the little bags of gravel skiers use to keep hands warm. As soon as you open the sack these get hot and stay hot for 8 -10 hours. A windshield is important to me in cold or rain or snow. Enjoy the ride, Be safe.

I don't know about you, santa is dead, but in North Carolina, when it is cold and raining, it is usually just called rain, freezing rain and ice more often than snow.

To answer your question, Belkin, cold weather feels bad enough, which is why you should bundle up properly. Rain in the cold is really bad, again, if you're not dressed for it. I've been caught in rainy warm weather. My jacket works fine in the precipitation, but I had on the wrong type of pants and the rain felt like little needles. I have ridden in the cold as well, and that is just bad. It is difficult to function on a bike, and not being able to react on a motorcycle can be fatal.

My suggestion, is get proper riding gear. And it helps if you have a windshield or a fairing but if not, wear something that breaks the wind from you hands, legs and body. Wear boots that have not "leaks" (the only way air or water can get in is throug the top opening). A leather coat will help you stay warm, but you will need something under or over that to break the wind. Get a kneck/face warmer. I like riding with a full-face modular helmet, but my neck still gets cold, so I got a big wool neck warmer, works great.

Gloves, is the big issue. You have to find the right thermally lined gloves, because as you get cold, your warm blood will rush to your torso to protect the organs and your fingers will get cold faster and faster. You have to keep those warm and your body will keep properly circulating the warm blood.

So, the key thing is:

DRESS HOT! Wear something to break the wind. Leather is a great warming garment, but it wil not break the wind. For wet weather, get wet weather gear.

Being cold and wet is worse than being cold, obviously. Being cold alone is danger, being cold and wet is down right dumb.

The wind is that much colder than when its dry and cold and the rain can obscure your view unless you don't wear any eye protection.

In addition to that, the rain makes it more difficult to negotiate corners, and the cold weather leads to ice patches when the temperature is cold enough.

It's a bad combination, but manageable if the situation demands that two wheels is better than none.

• Dimo J

Even with cold rain riding is still preferable to driving a cage.

well i drive my dirt bike in 18 degrees F and it sucks you have to be really bundlded up and snow and ice is a bizzch i usually fall about 3 times a ride if theres ice

Cold and wet.

When it gets cold enough for snow and ice, I get hot.

It's some exercise horsing that thing through the snow.

Happy Birthday, s.i.d.

It feels cold and wet. I do it all the time but I kind of enjoy being the only "biker" on the road.

It feels wet and cold.

Cold and wet!

COLD as hell...and wet and damp and heavy and annoying and harder to see and should of drove my car today...