Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Compared to other historical events how important is black slavery?

When you think about WWI or WWII, 9/11 or the Irish famine for example. Most races have had their fair share of wrong doing don't forget and I would say that generally the world has learnt a lesson on slavery but will we ever learn from wars?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The history of black slavery is indeed very important, because simply ignoring it, which might have been the case in the past, will not make it go away. It has to become part of our 'human' history and taught to our kids in the schools.

At the link below you can hear the voice of Fountain Hughes, born a slave in the USA and who died in the early 1950s. This recording of him was made in c1949. Listen carefully to what he says. If we had taken his advice a few years back we would not now be in the financial mess we are today.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kzXsH6YBuCg

Slavery will not go away and is with us even in our modern life. The worst of it is the sex slave industry and it is well known that here in UK the vast majority of girls working in the sex industry are slaves. In my view no girl ever becomes a prostitute from choice, they are forced into it and fed drugs to keep them under control.

Although the Irish Potato Famine, WW-One and WW-Two are very important in our history, they do not continue as does slavery and can therefore be looked upon as a warning from history. This is particularly so of WW-Two and the Holocaust, and we all know the result with some eight million people murdered in Nazi Death camps, of which six million were Jews.

The Israeli Air Force fly over Auschwitz Nazi Death Camp

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lfv3jsLGzL0

As for the Irish potato famine, we must never forget what happened and how little was done,if anything,by a UK.gov back then which had a duty of care for the people of Ireland. A desperate bid was made by the charities to bring aid but it simply could not cope with a disaster on such a massive scale. The UK.gov did not act, it in fact did nothing and worse it allowed absentee landlords to kick folk out of their houses to starve and die because they could not pay their rents.

The Irish Potato Famine was not dealt with in history lessons when I was going to school here in UK back in the 1940s and 1950s.

Which reminds me that a huge amount of history is not taught in our schools here in UK either. Hardly any mention of the War of Independence and certainly nothing about two wars in Afghanistan, both of which the British lost back in the 19thC.

I knew about the Holocaust of WW2 only because I grew up a Methodist and it was taught to me in Sunday School. Over the entrance to my Sunday School were written the words, "Unto the Victims of the Holocaust, must go the last word". That last word may never come and it is not therefore up to me as a Christian to offer forgiveness for those who committed the vile crimes against the Jews and others that they did.

I do not think we have learned our lesson, because something very similar to the Holocaust took place only a few years ago in Bosnia. This time against folk who were Muslims.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

• 1 decade ago

9-11 is not even close to being in the same scale as the other events you cited. I hope you're just ignorant and not being a douch by wording you question like this. The enslavement of a people, any people, and the destruction of a culture is far worse than anything war can do. It has consequences well beyond the even. A country can erect new building and replace money in a war, but slavery affect everyone in the country that practiced it, especially when it was practiced well beyond the time that a social conscious was part of societies.

• 1 decade ago

It's all subjective. The impact that a particular event has on your life is going to directly correlate to the significance of the event. Those who study warfare would probably say Hiroshima and the A-bombs are more significant. Others will say that the Holocaust is more significant. Right now in the US, Black Slavery is very significant because it still has an impact on our society and culture.

• daisy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Some would say that wars, Hitler, Stalin, the Cambodian killing fields, etc. caused the most upheaval in human lives. But these horrific incidents lasted only a few years.

Slavery has been going on for hundreds of years. In some parts of the world, it is still going on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Randy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Each of the events you have mentioned, as well as the events mentioned by others, are significant and contribute to world knowledge. Attempting to prioritize them within the context of importance is, I believe, an undertaking which is highly suspect as to worth. Each person within the cultural foundation of which they have been educated can (will) make very different selections and each will argue that their selection is more important.

Clearly to individuals who were (are) slaves, slavery is rightly the most important event. So too for those who were in a World War or the Irish Famine, or the victim of a terrorist attack, or lived during the depression, or any other traumatic event. For those of us who haven’t been involved in any of those events we learn about them and apply this knowledge to conducting our lives, but they ‘do not’ take on the same significance as if we lived through them.

Those of us who are descendents of people who existed through an extreme tragic (and most of us are) event can learn from it but we cannot place ourselves within that event. Our lives are our own and what we make of them are from our own decisions within the options available. Within the United States today (as well as in a number of other countries) anyone has the opportunity to pretty much control the planned direction of their life. Events may (likely will) alter that plan and some of that altering we may consider as negative, but there is no fairness to life, it simply is.

Education is an example of a significant element in an individual’s life to determine the path they will take. That education is available to all who will take advantage of it, but those who enter adulthood without that education are handicapped in directing the path of their own life. That handicap, for the most part, is of their own making and justifying that lack of education on one’s antecedents being involved in an extreme event (such as slavery or a war or whatever) is no excuse.

The past is knowledge to learn from and the present is what we deal with..

• 1 decade ago

Slavery? Well, it all worked out ok in the end didn't it? Black people were liberated and given a much better future in the countries that once used them as slaves. What good has come from 9/11? Nothing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Slavery went on for over 200 years. Yes it's significant.

• 1 decade ago

The world has not learnt a lessen on slavery. It's as bad as ever.

• 3 years ago

I consider you. i do no longer think of all people could settle for a tricky time over something that became into executed interior the previous or possibly somebody in yet another component to the worldwide is doing. whether white human beings have been in contact in slavery, it became into human beings in Africa who bought the slaves to them interior the 1st place. So that is in comparison to white human beings started it. :S

• Wapiti
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Minimal.

Wars bring death and destruction. but also medical and scientific advances.

And the problem is that as long as there are people there will be war.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.