Adam asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

357 Magnum vs 10mm Auto?

Using the very best full power loads, which cartridge has the most knockdown power between the 357 magnum (Ruger GP-100) and the 10mm auto (Glock-20)?

• H
    Favorite Answer

In its history the .357 Magnum has proven itself as the manstopper with more one-shot-stops than any other caliber including the .45 acp. The round is the 125 grain, semi-jacketed hollow-point fired from a revolver with a 4" barrel from from any of the major ammo makers. Using this round and a revolver with a 4" barrel the girth, weight and speed of the bullet combine to provide just enough penetration and render just enough trauma to terminate a volitable situation involving human aggressors quicker than any other handgun round. Any more bullet weight, girth and/or bullet velocity results in wasted energy.

The 10mm, although more powerful than the .357 Magnum 'wastes' some of that power by over-penetrating and so is not the equal of the .357 Magnum as a one-shot-stopper. However, when confronting four-legged predators or penetrating barriers such as doors, sheet metal or car glass the 10mm has the edge. So the 10mm is more powerful but the .357 is the proven one-shot stopper when dealing with two-legged predators.

NOTE: Seventeen years ago I came to work for a large Texas Police Department. The small police department I'd worked for before did not allow its officers to carry auto-loaders and so I carried a Colt Python .357 Magnum (4" barrel loaded with the aforementioned 125 grain rounds). The new department discouraged its officers from carrying wheelguns (even though they were willing to make concessions if I really wanted to carry my Python). They actually issued brand new 9mms or allowed their officers to carry their own in the officer's choice of caliber provided it was a modern, double-action semi-auto. Back then the .357 Sig was not yet available and so not wanting to go down in power-base from my old Python I purchased a new Glock Model 20 10mm. Long story short, this is what I carried until I retired last June. No regrets. The 10mm does it all, loads more ammo and reloads quicker to boot. Also, mine came with Trijicon nightsights (something not available in revolvers then). So did I retire my .357 Magnum? Of course not. I carry a .357 Magnum when I hunt since I can load the first two cylinders with snake shot and rest with full-power .357 Magnum rounds.

EDIT: Durden 35 is correct about the Model 20 Glock using .40 S&W or .357 ammo with the correct barrel swap but it is the .357 Sig round you can use NOT the .357 Magnum.

H

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/HQP8d

AJ- There is no question here about which is the more powerful cartridge. This would definately be the .357 Magnum. Here are a couple of things you need to know. First you are compairing apples and oranges when you are talking about these two cartridges. Both have their purpose, but one os just better at getting the job done efficently. The 10mm was developed as an attempted cross between the .45 ACP and the 9mm Luger, (Parabellum). What actually came out of the blend ended up being the .40 S&W, which I carry on duty in a Glock 22. The 10mm and .40 Cal. share the same bullet diameter, the difference however is in power. As for my home defense handgun, I have a Ruger GP-100 in .357 Magnum chambered with 125 Grain JHP Cor-Bon Cartridges @ 1450 FPS. I chose this weapon because I wanted 6 nearly 100% reliable shots with very little chance of malfunction. On a side note, this is where revolvers have their edge, and advantage over a Magazine Fed Semi-Automatic Pistol. In the case of the revolver there is less that can go wrong in the event of an emergency. In either case I like both Glock and Ruger equally, and have had no issues with either of my weapons, BUT they are definately used for two completely different purposes. Keep this in mind though, especially if you are trying to decide what to choose for a weapon to defend yourself. In the case of the Glock, (any Semi-Automatic Pistol), there are some factors that you might wish to take into consideration. First, is the fact that if the Semi-Automatic fails to fire, (misfire), it will require the use of two hands to correct the issue. This means that if you are on the phone with the 911 dispatcher you may have to put the phone down in order to retract the slide to chamber the next cartridge for firing. Whereas with a revolver, it is simply pulling the trigger again to index the next cartridge into the firing position. Second, the revolver serves both the novice shooter and the master shooter equally. This is true with its reliability, function, accuracy and its ease of maintenance. Revolvers may not have the capacity, but they more often deliver a more powerful cartridge to the intended target. Third, in the case of the .357 Magnum, you do not have to just fire those cartridges either. You can also shoot .38 Special Cartridges on your practice days at the range. This is precisely what I do when I go shoot at the range. I keep the .357 Magnums at home, and take the .38 Specials to the range. This benefits you by allowng for a more comfortable shooting session while you are at the range. Now having said this, you are literally getting two guns for the price of one. Keep in mind this too. .38 Special as an excellent learning cartridge, and an excellent target cartridge. If you even take the time to learn how to reload your own ammunition, you will find that the .38 Special will respond with excellent accuracy. There is nothing wrong with either choice you would make in this case. However, you need to ask yourself what you are really going to be doing with the weapon you choose. Personally, if this is for self defense, I would choose the .357 Magnum in a heartbeat, and without a second thought, just based on its available power, reliability and easy care. Just a suggestion though about the Ruger GP-100. If you really want to enjoy this revolver, change the factory grips out for a set of Hogue Grips. I did this years ago with my .357, and have not regretted doing that change. I even carry the .357 on duty occasionally, when I have had to have some work done on the other. Good Luck and Happy Shooting!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

357 Magnum vs 10mm Auto?

Source(s): 357 magnum 10mm auto: https://shortly.im/CXr5T

The 357 Magnum case has 12.5 percent more capacity and there's no replacement for displacement. Sure you can buy boutique ammo from Underwood that's loaded to the brink of destruction, but you can do the same with the 357. I don't know why you'd want to subject your guns to that kind od abuse though. The 10mm fanbois seem to have a small penis complex and are always trying to compare their 10mm's to more powerful Magnum calibers. Just buy a bigger gun you morons.

I shot a deer once with a 357 at 20 yards; the deer didn't die but insisted that next time I use a 10mm. Said something about the 357 being inferior. (I'm totally kidding here)

At the end of the day; does it really matter? If you are talking about shooting deer or assailants at close range, the 10mm and the 357 magnum will both work great with proper bullets and good shot placement.

Oh and the deer? It dropped in its tracks.

The 10mm probably has the advantage on paper while the .357 Magnum has the following (and rightfully so).

People will claim the .357 Magnum is better because you can shoot .38 Specials through it. VERY true, and that's handy. Of course, if you opt Glock for 10mm, you have the choice of shooting .40 S&W and .357 Sig with a barrel change (check me on that, but I believe that's the case).

As far as shooting pleasure goes, I really lean towards the 10mm over the .357 Magnum. To me, the .357 Magnum's report is particularly brutal. The 10mm is no walk in the park, but it doesn't seem to have that crack that the .357 Magnum does. Several people that shoot with me agree.

A problem with 10mm is lack of gun choice. Basically, you can go Glock, Glock, or Glock. Granted, that's NOT a bad choice, but if you have an issue with the Glock design, you're crap out of luck.

I find carrying an auto easier than a revolver. Also, while I agree that most street "gunfights" are done in 3 rounds, I find it comforting to have 10 or 16 rounds in the gun just in case, statistically, I'm involved in the gunfight over 6 rounds.

Either round is fine. The 10mm is getting enough population now that most gun stores carry a box or two. I live in rural West Tennessee, and I can readily get it. And the prices aren't THAT much more than a .45 ACP or something similar. Granted, a few years ago it was tough to get, but it's not that bad, anymore.

I carry a 10mm (especially in the winter), and I really like the round. Like the .357 Magnum, it's not MAGICAL. You can't just show someone a picture of the bullet and have them fall into a coma. Bullet placement is VITAL, but both rounds have plenty of performance to take full advantage of good bullet placement.

Edit:

H . . . THANK YOU FOR CATCHING the .357 Magnum - Sig screw up. Good eyes man! I corrected it in my post. Stupid mistake especially since I carry a .357 Sig., too. LOL!

Oh, H, have you got any penetration data on the .357 Mag v.s. 10mm. I believe that they're both pretty close. Also, while the .357 Mag has the best "one shot stop" numbers, the 10mm is generally classified as "insufficient data" to judge because so few of them have been used in comparison.

Agreed, we're splitting hairs. Either round is probably near the top of the class with regards to utility.

• zabel

357 Magnum Ballistics

357

10mm Buffalo Bore 180 grain Gold Dot at 1350 fps = 728 ft.lbs.

.357 Magnum Buffalo Bore 125 grain JHP at 1700 fps = 802 ft. lbs.

This is extremely hot ammunition and the .357 Magnum wins.

• Dave

ehh, it's a toss up.. if your looking for a carry gun i'd probably go with the 10mm, but for a nightstand gun, the .357

I'd like to add, to durden's answer.

the glock 20 has available .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and the newly introduced .50 GI barrel sets