Do Italians speak good Italian ?

I always ask if Italians speak standard Italian when they speak ?

Godd answers . In such questions ; it's better going to vote !

Best Answer

Actually not.

Standard Italian is just used in official situations (as school) or in burocratic context.

In family and with friends quite nobody speaks standard Italian, dialecet is the main form of comunication. Even if in North-Italy most of cities are losing their own dialect, some Italian standard grammatical forms are becoming unused (conditional and subjunctive for exemple).

Since every city and region has got its own dialect, it's very difficoult to comunicate among the several regions, so to fix these differences is used the Standard Italian taugh at school...

Source(s): Italian girl from Rome
    • Giuly
      4 years agoReport

Actually most American movies dubbed in Italian by Roman actors, are full of grammar mistakes and the first one is about conditional and subjunctive. The second one is to say, for example, ''lui sta là'', big grammar mistake, instead of the correct ''lui è là''. And so on...

I am a Belgian who speaks Italian very well. I have visited Italy many times and have seen 13 of the 20 regions.

With strangers most Italians speak the standard language. In small villages elder people are often not able to speak it.

I have also been a member of an Italian web-site in the USA. They were all second or third generation. Most of them did not speak any Italian at all. A few spoke very little. I had to chat in English with them.

• Lois

My GF is Italian at least a decedent and does not speak any of her mother lands language...funny I'm an Italian Minor in my college, I'm very fluent and can talk with her parents which are Italian immigrants. And as for learning the language I live in Little Italy NY, the local high school and Junior High has Italian as a substitute for Spanish if you like to take it so the fluency you don't get in growing up with your parents you can get it in school.

• U Mad?

Italians speak the best Italian you'll hear. You won't come across many people speaking standard Italian, more people speaking their local dialects. It's the same with any language.

(Another note: Actual Italians speak good Italian, rather than people who have Italian background and claim to be Italian).

Are you serious?! this question must be a joke...

of course they speak standard Italian, that's where Italian came from... it's like asking if Spanish people speak standard Spanish or the English speak standard English...

I just can't believe that you asked this, to the world, literally...

(no ofense...) Happy Holidays...

Most 3rd generation immigrants are linguistically dead. I know people straight from Venezuela who say they are losing their their spanish. If they live in Italy yeah, Italians born or raised in america, speak very little italian in general.

I originate from Africa and can verify that 3rd generation is linguistically dead. I can understand Chenowae when my parents or grand parents speak but I'm not fluent enough to hold a conversation, so I wil speak to my kids in english.

Unless you speak a language every day it will happen.

• roli

Catwoman is right, Italian people speak standard Italian only in formal situations.

Every region, every city have their own dialect, that is spoken instead of Italian standard.

However dialects are transforming into Italian standard with the spend of the years.

Source(s): I am Italian.

Which Italians are you talking about?

Italian-Americans? No, most probably not, a very small percentage are fluent in Italian and they are usually recent immigrants

Italian citizens? OBVIOUSLY

Do Americans speak English well?

Well, that depends of what you mean for "standard" :) If standard is what you see in movies or in tv, I would probably say no.

Take me for example, i never speak "standard" italian :D if not for formal situations or this stuff. That depends even what region are you in, what dialect, like the ones above me said. ;)

Source(s): italian

Of course they do, unless they were born in a different country (and maybe have been adopted). Italians are 'Italian' after all.