Maven asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Was Steelers last TD a Touchdown?

What is the NFL rule for a TD? In the Steelers game, when he caught the ball at the end and his feet were in the endzone it was a TD right? Doesn't it have to be possession of the ball and 2 feet OR possession of the ball and the ball breaks the plane? It was a TD right?

As for how the refs could say the the Steelers got a 1st down in the 1st half and upheld it after the challenge is beyond me. It was an easy call cuz it was right after a touchback so they needed to reach the 30. They didn't even come close. They ruled on the field 1st down and somehow upheld it. WTF is the point of replay if you can't get it right while looking at the video?

Since the first 4 people to answer this question are ******* idiots, let me rephrase my question. What is the NFL rule for Touchdown? There, are you happy dickheads?

Tom J. That is debatable. Thank you for at least attempting to answer the question though. I am not a fan of either team, I just think the refs screwed the Ravens earlier, not too sure about this call cuz I don't know the rule.

So let me ask this. If you catch the ball in the endzone, have 2 feet in the endzone, but gained possession of the ball when the ball had not crossed the front of the plane, would it be a TD or no? Remember possession of the ball and 2 feet in the endzone, but the ball doesn't break the plane?

Please only answer if you know or have something useful to add.

Favorite Answer

If I may, let me point out something as an objective observer who watched this game and this call with great interest. I am neither a Steelers fan nor a Ravens fan, but I did have the Ravens with high confidence in my NFL pool for this game, so I should have been upset about the call for the Steelers, but I am not at all upset about it and will explain why:

Many years ago I noticed something but never saw it discussed on any blogs or anywhere online, but to me it has always been interesting and for years I was waiting for a play just like this one to clarify it:

The NFL apparently has 2 distinct rules for what constitutes a Touchdown - not 1 but 2 rules covering different types of plays.

(a) when a player is running a ball (or jumping as the case may be) all he needs to do is get the nose of the ball to touch the invisible plane of the endzone for a split second, while maintaining control of the ball, and that is a touchdown by the NFL rules.

(b) when a player is in the endzone and catches a forward pass, this is covered by a different NFL rule. Though I cannot honestly say I have ever heard this clarification from NFL officials, this is apparent for the following reason. I have seen hundreds of NFL TD passes caught in the endzone, ruled touchdowns when the ball NEVER broke the "plane" of the endzone while in possession of a player. Most often these are catches just off the sideline or at the back of the endzone where the receiver stretches out, catches the ball, maintains control of the ball with both feet on the ground in the endzone, but where the ball never is inside the imaginary planes of the endzone. We have all seen these TD catches, and NEVER is their any discussion on those cases of whether or not the ball broke the plane. In those cases all the NFL officials are trying to determine is whether or not he had both feet inbounds on the ground while maintaining possession of the ball in his hands.

I always wanted clarification on that because it is a very interesting thing that the NFL appears to have 2 completely distinct rules regarding what constitutes a Touchdown: 1 covering runners, the other covering receivers who catch a pass in the endzone. I never could understand why this was not talked about, but now with this play (because it happend at the front of the endzone and was at a crucial moment, and my have decided the game) it will surely be discussed in great detail and hopefully clarified once and for all by the NFL officials.

The ref ruled that Holmes had two feet down with possession of the ball, and the ball broke the plane of the end zone, so it was a touchdown.

We just have to accept the fact that instant replay works in "cycles" and will continue to work in cycles until the system is radically changed. A play is only supposed to be overturned if there is INDISPUTABLE evidence to overturn it. This was the way replay was used for a while, until refs started over-thinking it (think Troy Polomalu's non-interception interception against the Colts in the playoffs a few years ago).

Then the league steps forward and reiterates that "PLAYS ARE ONLY TO BE OVERTURNED IF THERE IS INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE." And the refs say "Oh, sorry, we forgot." They go back to following the rules for a few months, and then inevitably start getting "creative" again with replay, overturning whatever plays they feel like. Then the league will crack down again, and it will go back to normal. This will happen forever. Just get used to it everyone.

• speedo

If the player has both feet in the endzone the ball has to be on or break the white line, which it did. So the touchdown stands. That is why they have automatic review within the last two minutes of the game. The entire ball does not have to break the plane, we see this weekly when teams score touchdown running over the pylon in the corner of the endzone.

The Ravens were lucky, they should have been called for holding multiple times against James Harrison, they should have been called for interference, and they should have been called for illegal formation.

Both teams got away with holding and both teams got away with delay of game several times. Both teams got an extremely generous first down spot.

• LMAO

Yes it was this rule "It is only a touchdown if the ball is in on, above, or past the goal line" only applies when the ball WAS THROWN FORWARD NOT BACKWARDS OF THE PLAYER, ALSO THIS ONLY APPLIES WHEN THE PLAYER ISN'T IN THE END ZONE, which in this case HOLMES WAS IN THE END ZONE. Holmes clearly had possession of the ball. Let me give you this case in another example, when the QB throws the ball behind the receiver and he runs a hitch or a hook rout, and he stretches to catch the ball, where do they mark the ball? where his toes where, not where the ball fell.

It doesn't matter if the ball was or not touching the white line, because like i said with the hitch and hook example they never mark the ball where he caught the ball, but where the last part of his body was touching the ground. This rule applies to ALL PARTS OF THE FIELD, THE END ZONE IS PART OF THE FIELD.

The NFL rule for a touchdown is that the any part of the ball must be on or across the white end zone line when the receiver has possession. Yes, it was a Touchdown because when Holmes had possession the tip of the ball was on the white endzone line.

Yes it was a touchdown. The ball broke the plane of the goal line. The only issue with the player having his feet on the ground was to establish the instant he had possession of the ball and whether the ball was over the goal line at that instant. It may have been over the goal line by a millimeter but it was over.

From the side angle it did look like the ball crossed the plain by maybe a a few inches. Anyway, fourth and inches, the QB almost always picks that up on a QB sneak. Big Ben at 6'5 250 would have gotten it anyway.

Ok it goes like this.....since it was at first ruled down inches behind the goal-line.....they have to go back and find indisputable evidence that he actually broke the plane....I don't know...I think he was just inches short...but i have to be honest and say that even if the steelers just kicked a field goal...i feel like they wouldve pulled it off anyway...they always figure out a way to pull it out....i no i'm glad though my team needs baltimore to lose 2x to make the playoffs!

• Jay

Only the very tip has to touch the line, which it did. Touchdown. Division championship. First round bye.

i often wonder myself what they watch when they review a play! that td reminded me of big ben's superbowl XL td.