does anyone have the recipe for toffee using saltines and choc chips from the daily local newspaper in pa?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Toffee Squares

Saltines crackers -- OR - - Graham crackers - it takes about half a box - don't use cinnamon ones - any other kind is ok.

1 c. butter - Must be real butter

1 1/4 c. DARK brown sugar

bag of chocolate chips

1 c. choped pecans

Preheat oven to 375.

Line a large cookie sheet with foil - the jelly roll size as it is often called. Separate each sheet of graham cracker in half and lay in bottom of cookie sheet, trimming cookies to cover bottom of pan as best you can. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Melt butter in medium sized microwave safe mixing bowl. Add brown sugar. Cook 1 minute on high. Remove from oven and stir with a whisk. Put back in oven and microwave 1 more minute. It should be bubbly. It might look separated when you remove it from the microwave - that's ok - just whisk until it blends together.

Quickly and CAREFULLY pour butter and brown sugar mixture over graham crackers. Put in oven for 4 (yes, just four) minutes. Watch carefully - they should be bubbly on top.

Remove from oven carefully and set on level surface. Sprinkle desired amount of chocolate chips on top - I usually use about half the bag, depending on what kind of chocolate fix you need, you can add more!

Sprinkle with pecans - or other nuts - and let cool.

Cut or break into pieces when cool. They are kind of crunchy the day they are made and soften and - to me - are even better the next day.

• 1 decade ago

i remember a recipe called -guess again candy crunch. i don't know the ingredients off hand but i found it at either the pillsbury bake off or the betty crocker cook off web site

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.