Blink asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Need Book Help. Name Books about corruption and exploitation?

Hey guys, I'm writing an essay, and for one part, I need to list some books whose central theme is power, corruption, and the exploitation of the common man by the rich. I know this is a very commonplace theme, so there's gotta be lots of books on this subject, but I can't think of any. The only thing that i can think of is Sweeney Todd (the judge's exploitation of the barber) and maybe Count of Monte Cristo (not sure if it's exploitation by a higher power).

So, please if you could, name some books on this topic. And It'd be better if they are more famous works (classics) so that my reader would understand the reference.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality by Jerome R. Corsi AND The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate by David Freddoso.

Both are about corruption, thug politics, graft and exploitation of the masses by a con artist.

Great Expectations would be a good one. It's not so obvious a theme, but is definately an important point of the text. Eg, Pip looks down on Joe once he becomes a "gentleman". He is also devastated when he finds out it is not the genteel Miss Havisham who is his benefactor, but the escaped convict Magwitch.You also see the snobbery of Estella,