Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

What is WinPcap and what its it's practical use?

I found this program on my computer. What is it and what is it used for in a practical sense? In other words, why would it be installed on my PC? Thanks!!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

WinPcap is software that allows your network interface card to (NIC) operate in "promiscuous" mode. Normally if a NIC sees traffic addressed to another NIC on the network, it ignores it. If you are running a network sniffer application, you may have a need to capture that traffic for inspection. Putting a NIC in promiscuous mode allows your NIC to capture traffic addressed to another machine and pass it to the sniffer application.

Normally you should not find WinPcap on your machine unless you also have a network sniffer such as WireShark also installed. If the machine was previously used by a network administrator or a network engineer they may have simply forgot to uninstall it when they uninstalled the sniffer app.

It is also possible that it is there for some nefarious purpose. It's conceivable that your machine may have been hijacked in order to sniff other network traffic on your network and report that to an outside attacker. This would be an advanced case of cracking and while I've never seen it personally, it's conceivable -- and rather scary.

Unless you are also running a network sniffer application or other network analysis tools, you have no need for WinPcap. Remove it from your machine if you can. It should be listed in the Add & Remove Programs listing. If it isn't, you can just delete the parent folder (unless it's residing in a system folder!) or delete the executable itself. It's a Unix port application and does not normally weave itself into the Windows OS very deeply.

• Video download software I want might have made this acceptable if the download of that software didn't carry a trojan. It was a pretty malevolent adware that over time made the internet unusable. When I found this program on my kid's computer, I knew why our network had slowed down throughout the house! It's gone and so are our old passwords. The network is back to operating at normal efficiency.

• 6 years ago

I found if you have downloaded a video capture program like WM Capture and WM Recorder so as to record vidoes online that you cannot download, the program most likely is using WinCap. Look up WM Capture on Google. Try this search term "does wmcapture use wincap". You will see that the program mentions WinCap. So this could be a likely source from which WinCap showed up. Here is another link to programs that you may have downloaded that use WinCap http://www.winpcap.org/misc/links.htm

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is WinPcap and what its it's practical use?

I found this program on my computer. What is it and what is it used for in a practical sense? In other words, why would it be installed on my PC? Thanks!!

Source(s): winpcap 39 practical use: https://shortly.im/7RaFd
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • strate
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Winpcap

• 6 years ago

Thanks A B. Mine was part of Apowersoft Video Download Capture.

• bobbie
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I think it depends

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.