Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

April
April asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Would the world be a better place if all the countries were governed by women?

Favorite Answer

Chandrika Kumaratunga, Sri Lanka (1994- )

Mary McAleese, Ireland (1997- )

Vaira Vike-Freiberga, Latvia (1999- )

Helen Clark, New Zeland (1999- )

Tarja K. Halonen, Finland (2000- )

Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Philipines (2001- )

Khaleda Zia, Bangladesh (1991-1996, 2001- )

Luisa Diogo, Mozambique (2004- )

Yulia Timoshenko, Ukraine (2005- )

Angela Merkel, German,

Michelle Bachelet, Chile.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberia.

Cristina Kirchner, Argentina.

No better place, they solve problems, choose and decide what they think is better for their countries. The same way men would do.

I think it would be better off if it were governed by children.

One likes to think that women would be better than men, but the historical record ( with the exception of geniuses like Christina of Sweden) shows that women perform like men while governing. Margaret Thatcher - phew! Catherine the Great was a good Tsar for Russia, but she was bad news for Poland. Governor Palin of Alaska is an utter joke (although other female governors have not been). Golda Meir of Israel was quite militant.

As for Hilary Clinton, I admire her and respect her. But she has drifted fairly far to the right on defense issues and has just about become a hawk. For this reason I don't trust her to be President. I could vote for Oprah Winfrey as president, and the present Prime Minister of Germany is doing a good job.

Source(s): Aging hippie

The feminist in me says yes. Men's egos and short tempers, greed and gluttony have bred some of the most tyrannical patriarchies known to human kind.

But, the logician in me says: What do we have to compare to? Not much. Do we know that the emotional nature in a woman can be tamed with great responsibility? Is it an attribute or a weakness?

Would a woman also exhibit power-hunger and oppress the common man?

There is no way to know.

But, I do know this:

The world would be a better place if our leaders were not motivated by greed and self-importance, rather with wisdom and logic.

Some women it seems, are far more capable of this than many men we have seen fail as rulers.

• ?

It does not matter if the rulers are women or transgenders or gays or what else, as along as the ones know the art of right governance and a will to apply their skill in the direction..

There was a Queen of Jansi (India) in the last century who fought her enemies riding on horse back side by side with her army..!!

Mrs Indira Gandhi known for her wisdom and strong will did many great things but committed serous blunders like declaring emergency for wrong reasons and spoiled all the good she did.. Her own wrong strategy of encouraging some terror outfits to outwit her political adversaries, ended up in their turning against her much later..!! So we can never judge the success of any one based on their qualities in some sphere - as they may nullify all that good in a single blunder as well..

Similarly there was a Thatcher who was quite popular.. and many lady CMs in India and Governors in US who were /are skilled in administration.. But there had been serious blunders committed by some of these ones also..

So it is not the gender but the skill to rule well and the mind to apply the skill.. That's all!!

Not necessarily. Margaret Thatcher was a female Ronhole Raygun. The world would be a better place if all countries were governed by liberals.

Well, I don't want to stereotype, because both women and men come with different temperaments, intelligence sensitivity and politics. All things being equal however I see women more likely to be gentle , less violent,more thoughtful and consensus seeking than men. So on that basis I would prefer women but not like Sarah Palin, Hillary linton, or Margaret Thatcher.These three are too conservative for my taste.

I don't know about being governed, but if women could play a part and we had an equal balance in there, it just might be better. A woman's compassion and organizational skills really could help some.

• Wally

Maybe we need you April to govern the world ))))))))

otherwise there will be

No difference because people are all different and all have different expectations and values and so you cannot please everyone always. If you please one group the other will oppose and even history has shown when there was women leaders that some were better and some were worse. Unless your suppress peoples freedom, you will always have too much freedom to choose so more disagreements

Maybe not ALL, but Women have been doing a Great Job , for many decades in some Countries...!!

• Depends what sort of women. If you're talking about Margaret Thatcher type women then certainly not. If you're talking about real women who give a damn about the world then certainly.