Manual Transmission Vs. Automatic Transmission?

What are the pro's and con's of Manual transmission and Automatic transmission?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Manual = Fun rowing through the gears, control of the RPM range, better MPG highway, more reliable. Sucks in traffic.

Auto= Good for commuters, have to mash the gas to downshift, slush box. Great for drag racing from a stop.

• ohle
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Manual Vs Automatic Transmission Reliability

• Donna
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

MANUAL. you will be a better driver. You won't be able to text while driving so easy but, hey that might be a good thing. You have more power and control over the engine and hence better fuel economy, gearbox wear and many other things. When an automatic transmission goes it will cost you a bomb! Depending on what car you're getting and what your worth you may even have to end up selling the car when confronted with a $2500 repair bill to put in a new tranny. Manual transmission are more environmentally freindly as they burn less oil and gas and degrade quicker in the dump. May the Farce be with you.

• 1 decade ago

One thing that is being ignored in every thing that I have read to this point is the maintenance issues.

An automatic needs more maintenance to work right.

But when a manual needs work (as in new clutch) it gets expensive.

The last time I had the fluid changed in an automatic, the cost was quoted at 100 dollars. This needs done several times to the replacement of a clutch, which I also just had done (parts and labor 500 dollars). The clutch was replaced after 150K miles.

Which to me says that (barring failure of either) they are about the same in maintenance cost. Then again, I never have had an automatic last 150K miles before it needed other work.

I enjoy a manual transmission, in traffic or out of it. But I am just an old man who loves to drive.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i know this will sound stupid to most people who live in the city but if you have a manual transmission you have more than one way to start your vehicle if your starter goes out, and more than one way to stop it if your brakes go out. everyone else gave you good pros and cons but these are the best to reasons i prefer a manual to an automatic hope this helps

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Manual is more reliable than an automatic. Less moving parts = less chance of stuff breaking. Manuals are fun in traffic though; keeps you awake and gives you something to do.

Source(s): captain obvious
  • J.R.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

One's more fun to drive, one's easier to drive. Neither is more "reliable" than the other. A manual used to be cheaper on a new car.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Stick shift is much more fun to drive. Lets you control shift points and saves on brakes if know how to downshift. Pain if your in traffic or talk on the damn phone a lot !

• 1 decade ago

manual trans pros: more control, more fun, easier to work on, better fuel economy

manual trans cons: more work, sucks taking off on a hill when @$$holes pull up too close behind you, more work

auto trans pros: less work, no rolling back, no thought or effort in takeoff.

auto trans cons: less control, less fun, worse fuel economy, suck to work on

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its a matter of preference. just cuz you have an automatic doesnt mean your lazy. who ever says that is stupid. to me one is not better than the other

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.