How can I fix the damage on stainless steel after using bleach?

I accidentally spilled bleach on stainless steel in my bathroom and didn´t notice it until it was all set. Now there are grayish spots and stains all over it. Can I do something to even the color or even better to get rid of the spots???

I accidentally spilled bleach on stainless steel in my bathroom and didn´t notice it until it was all damaged. Well, I just assume it is a stainless steel, I am actually not sure, it used to be silverish and now there are grayish and golden stains on it. I don´t know what to do, I tried scrubbing it off but it didn´t work. How can I even the color or at least get rid of the grayish stains????

• Favorite Answer

Previous poster is incorrect. As a metalworker specializing in stainless, I see this all the time. Stainless steel comes in many types and grades, and usually is not stain-proof, but stain-LESS.

Bleach, when used on regular or "cheap" steel, will cause rust very very quickly. When put on stainless, it causes a slight oxidation, which is what you have.

You didn't say what kind of finish you have on your stainless, whether it's a brushed finish (fine lines all going in one direction) or a mirror-polished type of finish. If it's a brushed finish, you can simply use a scotch-brite pad, brillo pad, or very fine (#0000) steel wool to get the gray spots off. Make sure you go in the same direction as the pattern that's already there, and ONLY in that direction.

If you have a mirrored surface, you are in for a LOT of polishing. Go to an auto parts store, and get a product specifically for polishing chrome or other metals. Use some super soft cotton towels, and buff it until it's good as new.

Good luck!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): fix damage stainless steel bleach: https://biturl.im/vHYeg

If bleach affected your fixtures they aren't stainless steel. Cheap fixtures are difficult to keep looking nice which is one reason why nice ones cost so much. Try some baking soda mixed with water into a paste and scrub it over them then rinse well.

i agree with the guy above me i hade the same problem on my grill i did the same thing he said good awnser

and good luck