Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Great new teen books to read?

I want to read something new and interesting. I've read a lot of books and I wanted some suggestions. Thanks (=

Favorite Answer

The book Uglies by Scott Westerfield by far was the best book I have ever read. It's about a girl named Tally who lives in a futuristic world where anything less than perfect is plain ugly. At age 16, everyone gets an operation to turn them into a 'pretty'. However, there is a band of rebels that fights against the operation. Tally is sent after them by the city but she then realizes that maybe the rebels do have a point. It's a story of morality and decisions. I loved the whole saga, which includes the sequels, Pretties, Specials, and Extras. Also try Peeps by the same author.

If you think that book isn't for you, try these ones:

Have you ever read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown? Likewise, try Deception Point by the same author.

The Host by Stephanie Meyer was really good too. I liked the plot better than Twilight's. It's much more intellectual because it made you think a lot more.

Thrill Ride by Rachel Hawthorne was very cute. I loved every minute of it! It`s about a girl who gets a job at an amusement park away from her boyfriend and meets a new guy. By doing so, she realizes her boyfriend isn`t all that and manages to overcome her fear of heights.

The Giver by Lois Lowry is pretty cool. It explores a utopia (or dystopia) depending on how you look at it. It's sequels Gathering Blue and Messenger also work. You don't need to read the in any order.

The Chloe and Levesque Series and The Mike and Riel series were the books my friends and I were reading in the eighth and seventh grade. They're a collection of mysteries all solved by Chloe and Mike. I love them because they're so suspenseful and I almost never manage to figure out the culprit until the very end when they finally tell me.

The Prophecy of the Stones was originally written when the author, Flavia Bujor when she was just fifteen! Likewise, The Outsiders (even though you've probably read it) was written by a fifteen year old, S.E. Hinton as well. The plot and writing was well done.

Shanbanu and it's two sequels by Suzanne Fisher Staples were amazing. The first one is not a romance novel but I suggest you read it anyways. The next two are more loved based and they were all sad. I loved them. They gave me a new perspective of life, you know?

The Dating Game by Natalie Standiford. It's one of those fun books where you learn nothing but is really exciting.

Anything by Meg Cabot would work. Most of her books are heavy on the romance side. There's the Princess Diaries series (I've read those since the fifth grade, and I'm still reading them as they come out). Also, Queen of Babble was really good and funny. There's also Size 12 is Not Fat, Size 14 Is Not Fat, and Big Boned which are all in a series. However, in that series, Big Boned is the only love story in there.

There's also the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor that follows a girl named Alice from third to tenth grade (where the last book left off). You feel like you're her friend as you can see the way she grows up without a mother and learns new things about life, friendship, and of course, boys. There's many subplots such as homosexuality (her friend, not her) and child molestation.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is very dark and cryptic. It should be something everyone should read despite the questionable content. It's about a girl who goes to a high school party in the eighth grade and gets raped by a older boy. She calls the cops but doesn't tell them it was her who called or why so no one else knows what happens either. Because she called the cops, the students in high school all hate her because of her phone call. This is a great book about self realization.

The Face on the Milk Carton and its sequels are fantastic. About a girl named Jamie who realizes that she is adopted, she struggles with whether or not she fits in with her biological family or with the family she has been raised with for all this time.

After that, there's the obvious classics:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is my favourite out of all of them. It's really well written and I liked the aspect of thinking that Jane has. Even though Rochester does seem like a perve sometimes.... it's a good read nevertheless.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is very good as well. Personally, I wouldn't put it up with Jane Eyre though: that's just me.

• alvi

Picture Perfect

Keeping the Moon

Saving Zoe

The Seance

My Sisters Keeper

The Wedding

The Notebook

Nineteen Minutes

Marley and Me

White Oleander

The Wish List

The 5 People you Meet in Heaven

water for elephants

the glass castle

the pact

suzannes diary for nicholas

Twilight

the mediator series

gone

the chronicles of narnia

the guardian

The Kidnapping of christina lattimore

A deadly game of magic

the host

the giver

gathering blue

house of the scorpion

flipped

Harry Potter

sucks to be me

Vampire High

the other boelyn girl

the kite runner

me and emma

one more day

lovely bones

dinner with a perfect stranger

to kill a mockingbird

the great gatsby

the crucible

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Traci Chevailer,

Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

Sue Grafton Mysteries

Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich (funny as hell)

Well there's um

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Harry Potter by J.K Rowling

The Summoning (can't remember by who)

13 Reasons Why

Lesons From a Dead Girl

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

For teen novels I'd go with,

Twilight Saga, of course

The Droughtlanders

City of Bones

The Uglies

Healing Time of Hickeys- very funny

anything by Sarah Dessen, Ann Brashares, Meg Cabot, Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks, Ellen Hopkins, or Laurie Halse Anderson - Titles at the 1st link below.

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

13 Reason Why by Jay Asher

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

The Other Boleyn Girl and others by Philippa Gregory

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion, and Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

My Antonia by Willa Cather

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

The Belgariad and The Mallorean by David Eddings

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien

Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz

Maximum Ride series by James Patterson

Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Storms of Vengeance by John Beachem

Wake and Fade by Lisa McMann

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld

The Giver and sequels by Lois Lowry

A Great and Terrible Beauty and sequels by Libba Bray

Howl's Moving Castle

Pendragon series by DJ MacHale

anything by Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Ursula K. LeGuin, Tamora Pierce, Donita K. Paul, Mercedes Lackey, Chris D'Lacey, Garth Nix, Terry Brooks, Raymond Fiest, Gene Wolfe, George RR Martin, etc. - Titles at the 2nd link below.

I LOVE Sarah Dessen

Dreamland and the trut about forever are some of my favorites

i cant wait to read Lock and key by her now!

Source(s): me

ok, now i'm no longer gonna say Twilight. i like the e book, yet i'm getting ill of it. Any who, an exceedingly sturdy e book "Blood and Chocolate." there's a action picture, however the e book is a lot extra suitable.

the sweep series by cate tiernan

a certain slant of light by laura whitcomb