Which theories do you disagree with?

Which of the following theories, if any, do you reject as being reasonably accurate and predictive models of reality? What are your objections and what alternatives or corrections do you propose?

1. The germ theory of disease

2. Plate tectonics theory

3. Cell theory

4. Chromosome theory of inheritance

5. Theory of general relativity

6. Chaos theory

7. Theory of evolution of species by natural selection

8. Atomic theory

9. Big bang theory

10. Theory of quantum mechanics

• Favorite Answer

What I find curious is that, at one time or another, virtually ALL scientific theories were rejected by popular religions as being blasphemous.... Unfortunately for evolution, it is the one theory that can't ever be measured or quantified in anything approaching a human lifetime (the exception being microbes, but creationists have decided to label that as "micro-evolution" in order to dodge the bullet).

As to your question; I don't have a problem with any of the theories you've listed. Certainly, there have been some startling advances in 9 and 10 in the past decade or so (with the new collider promising even more break-throughs to come), but the theories themselves remain fundamentally sound.

I'm not sure where this falls into the categories,,but i believe the whole perspective of space is wrong.

I've always been open to new ideas,and the electric universe makes the most sense.

It actually makes sense of stuff that regular astro physysits cant.

It has an answer for everything in the universe,yet the so called status quo has so many holes and unanswered questions it looks worse than a old piece of swiss cheese!!

I think like all the great minds before us did,,we need to look further,,and stop holding 1 idea as a law...i no for a fact we will change our opinions of space in the next 20 or so years,,hopefully sooner,,and we may avoid a comet catastrophy ;p

I personally don't believe in the "Big bang theory" To actually conceptualize the "Beginning" is UNFATHOMABLE. We as a conscious entities have only a finite mind capacity points of reference. We can't phantom or imagine a phenomena that has no beginning or end. I believe that non existence has the propensity to exist and existence has the propensity to not exist this would be a constant cycle of energy ( no beginning and no end) The time and space continuum is "ONLY A STATE OF CONSCIOUSNESS" If there would be no consciousness, there would be nothing to give validation or creditability to a universe.I also believe that there is a skew to infinity that has no beginning or end , like a circle. The universe is in constant transition.Let say, in150 trillion years from now there would be a totally "different universe" Take Care, Hector

Source(s): my belief system
  • B K

They all seem to answer some questions, but no doubt they will continue to evolve and change or fall by the wayside if they are false. I have some problems with the Big Bang - it's really just still a lot of conjecture, not enough evidence for it yet.

That's the beauty of being an Atheist - there is no compulsion to believe anything. My world view is not going to fall apart if natural selection is proven to be false. The only thing that might p*iss me off is if god turns up on my doorstep one night.

I've been a practicing chemist for 30 years and have not seen one of the 10 falsified in my career. Over the last 30 years these theories have been fine tuned but the basic models are still workinf fine.

• I don't disagree with any of them. First, I do not have a single bit of evidence that would repudiate any theory. Second, I have confidence that if one of these is, in fact, wrong then the scientific community will figure it out.

# 10 is over my head.

Some points of # 9 are about the same.

I have to take the word of the generations of geniuses who dedicated their lives to figuring those things out when that happens.

I agree with all because theories are supported by science. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no clue what a theory is.

The great sky monkey made everything. so of course it exists. I just disagree with them because my church has a long history of being skeptical and often distrusting of anything helping to explain our world other than GOD DID IT!

Sorry had meself a christian moment there.

haha

you forgot the Theory of Gravity and the Heliocentric Theory

"Let's Play" is a good example of theists who irrationally discard science for no reason, if it contradicts their "holy" books.