Christians, what if you're wrong?

This is really only aimed at the very obnoxious Christians - what if you are wrong about your particular interpretation of God existing?

What if you go through your entire life chastising, patronizing and hurting innocent people, harassing people of other faiths, tormenting homosexuals (which in many cases leads to suicide), impeding scientific progress, and lying to children - all for nothing? Do you even accept the possibility you might be wrong?

You might not see that you do these things because you're doing them 'in the name of god' - but to everyone else, you're still doing them and it still retards human progress.

What if you are wrong, and the other 2/3 of the worlds population is right? There is either no god, or a different one than you are worshipping? How would you feel?

Morganie -

Do you have any other way to validate your beliefs rather than your personal feelings?

Do you not even think that possibly you are wrong? Maybe 'the feeling in your heart' doesn't hold all the answers to the cosmos? Maybe you're being a little too subjective?

Kaiba -

I did point out this was to the obnoxious Christians, who do take pride in doing all the things I mentioned. I don't care if someone believes in a higher being - what I care about is when they deliberately mistreat others because of their beliefs.

Dirtysheets - actually you are wrong. Only a third of the world is Christian, if that, and there are around 36000 denominations alone.

Nothing is impossible without God - Yes, you do harass others. Telling gay people they are sinning and going to hell is harassment.

April - Google Pascal's wager. Pointless argument.

Daniel - I think banning stem cell research based on religious belief constitutes impeding scientific progress.

Also, about a third of the world's population is Christian. Look at any reliable source. This means, shockingly, the other 4 billion people are not.

Mike - No, really, you do do those things.

Imagine for a second there is no god -

You certainly are harassing other people, oppressing homosexuals and lying about science.

Morganie -

Stem Cell research?

Ever thought that telling homosexuals they are sinners is psychologically damaging?

Ever thought maybe you shouldn't hold your own feelings above everything else?

Best Answer

You make some good points. An intelligent person would actually contemplate what you said and reconsider their beliefs.

Unfortunately, most christians are not such people.

No logic will change their mind.

I appreciate your question and realize that those "obnoxious Christians" make the Christan community as a whole look bad.

Actually, these "obnoxious Christians" undoubtedly suffer from the pride of "self-righteousness. A TRUE CHRISTIAN would love the soul as a human and make an effort to point out to that particular soul why their behavior or way(s) opposes the Word of God.

It is a fact that it is impossible to get all of the world's population (say 6 billion) to agree on the same thing for any issue. The massive diversity in beliefs, experience, education, upbringing, lifestyle and many other factors deadlock this matter into the chaos that is a major part of our daily lives.

Concerning your statement "Also, about a third of the world's population is Christian. Look at any reliable source. This means, shockingly, the other 4 billion people are not"...

I do find this to line up in agreement with the bible (A RELIABLE SOURCE) scripture found in MATTHEW 7:13-14

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and MANY THERE BE WHICH GO in thereat: [Hell]

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and FEW THERE BE THAT FIND IT. [Heaven]

This is hardly a coincidence... and believe that the real question is "WHAT IF YOU ARE WRONG?"

Well, I'd like to think that I'm not an obnoxious Christian. And maybe that has something to do with the fact that I'm quite sure I'm wrong about a lot of things. No one can be 100% right all the time, so it's pretty obvious that I'd have to be wrong about many things.

My attitude is that when the time comes, I hope I can say, "I was wrong and I'm sorry" to Whoever is in charge of the whole show. And if there is no God, at least I lived a life trying to help other people and do what I believed was right. That's about the best anyone can be expected to do.

" What if you go through your entire life chastising, patronizing and hurting innocent people, harassing people of other faiths, tormenting homosexuals (which in many cases leads to suicide), impeding scientific progress, and lying to children - all for nothing? Do you even accept the possibility you might be wrong? "

Here's the thing about all of this you have outlined dear, Even if God didn't exist, We don't do any of these things, This is just your interpretation of what we do, Not what we actually do. Furthermore, My reasons and other Christians reasons for opposing some of the things you've listed are as much naturalistic or secular as they are spiritual. As for science, Christian don't oppose science, What they oppose is evolution, Evolution is not science, And even if God were to be somehow disproved tomorrow, That doesn't make evolution any more then what it is today, A scientific theory. God bless !

I am NOT a crazy hardcore christian as you say. BUT I did come from a very small town that had those and I am a christian. BUT a true christian does not judge. It's not my place to tell a gay person they are gonna burn in hell! That's not my job and I feel that a true christian knows that

God can take care of conviction all by himself. he doesn't need a bunch of people trying to pass judgment! When christians do that they're just pushing people away! "Love thy neighbor as thyself" that doesn't say except if they're gay or muslim or a certain race. There are no exceptions! It seems some people miss a big thing in the bible ~ LOVE! It's one of the main teachings in the bible!

As to denominations! I think those are the downfall of christianity! It's called religion! I am nondenominational! BECAUSE most denominations seem to want to pick and choose what to believe is for us and not for this person or whatever! I believe the whole bible! Not just peices of it!

~I also agree with someone above. Fanatics in any belief system are dangerous! Not just christians!

Source(s): "What do you see the Bible as? Do you not fear it?" "Easy. It's a love letter." ~Joshua ( a movie)
  • Ryan82

Well, I dont know if I would classify as an obnoxious Christian, but if I were going through "life chastising, patronizing and hurting innocent people, harassing people of other faiths, tormenting homosexuals (which in many cases leads to suicide), impeding scientific progress, and lying to children", then I wouldn't it wouldn't really matter would it?

I wouldn't be following the commandments or example of Jesus Christ, and so I would "feel" pretty rotten because I wouldn't be getting was I was working for anyway!

• yomama

Hello Mrs. Nesbit - I don't have time to read the 53 postings here (so someone may have already said this) and I'm certainly not going to change your mind over YA. I just have 2 points

- what if you're wrong. If christians are right and you are wrong, then we are going to spend eternity in a wonderful heaven and you will spend it burning in hell (not being mean, just stating a fact). If we are wrong and you are right, then I'll just have lifed a decent life, trying to be a better person and then I'll die.

- read the book "I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist" and you can clearly see from a scientific viewpoint it takes more 'faith' to be an Atheist than it does to believe in God. I don't have that much faith so I believe in God.

As for christians who are NOT acting christlike (from your descriptions) then shame on them. The best example of a christian is Jesus...look to Christ not others for how to live your life. I apologize for christians who are behaving "unChristian" (that's a good book too...check it out after you read the first one).

• Daniel

Hurting inoocent people and tormenting homosexuals? Those who do this are not Christians. 1 John 4:8 says that "whoever does not love, does not know God, for God is love". I love everyone. Jesus loves everyone . If you are gay, God will forgive you if you truly turn to Him. He forgave me for all my numerous sins, many of which dealt with sexual immorality.

Impeding scientific progress? How do you get this stuff?

2/3 of the people are right? Right about what? Let's pretend Jesus isnt God and pretend the 1/3 are wrong (which in reality will be more than 1/3, but ill go by your numbers). the other 2/3 believe in so many other things. Islam, atheism, hinduism, buddhism, agnosticism, etc, etc. Many dont care. How can they all be right?

And if atheism is correct, guess what? Nothing matters. We live, do what we want, and die. So if I believed in Jesus being God and an atheist didnt and they were right: we both die the same.

The evidence isnt looking good for the atheists. They are holding on to an old theory with far too many fallacies. This is why they attack us. They have holes in their theories, and people like me bring them to the surface here.

Now, what if Im right?

I am all for adult, umbilical cord and amiatic fluid stem cell research. I do not see any moral issue with those and they proved to be as beneficial as embryonic stem cell research.

As for ES cell research, it's murder. Life is life, it's that simple. If we are killing people to gather research to save others, that kinda defeats the point if you want to look at it in practical terms. And the funny thing is, this research in general, has not produced anything awesome yet. Hopefully it does (and we discontiue killing embryos), but anything scientific breakthrough is less than theoretical.

I am sorry that you feel that Christians are the things that you describe. We do not make up the rules, we only express the truth of the word of God. Sadly, some may do so without gentleness and a loving heart, it seems.

As for doubting what I believe to be true.. No I do not, God tells us to not doubt...

5 But if any man among you is without wisdom, let him make his request to God, who gives freely to all without an unkind word, and it will be given to him. 6 Let him make his request in faith, doubting nothing; for he who has doubt in his heart is like the waves of the sea, which are troubled by the driving of the wind. 7 Let it not seem to such a man that he will get anything from the Lord; 8 For there is a division in his mind, and he is uncertain in all his ways.

James 1:5-8

17 But the wisdom which is from heaven is first holy, then gentle, readily giving way in argument, full of peace and mercy and good works, not doubting, not seeming other than it is. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is planted in peace for those who make peace.

James 3:17-18 (BBE)

"If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do what is done to the fig tree, but even if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou taken up and cast into the sea, it shall be done. 22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."

Matt 21:21-22 (ASV)

(Pascal's Wager) It is even worse than that. What if those 'obnoxious' Judeo-Christians-Muslims-others are wrong? What if those who are chastising, patronizing, harassing, and hurting innocent people are actually committing an ABOMINATION against the gods? What if when they die only then do they learn that their actions on Earth are despicable to the Lord/Lords? Then what? Their Pascals will be sorry then. Same tune, different key.

• jdq240

There are a lot of christians in the world who claim to be such but don't live the life that Christ wants us to live. God did not call us to do any of the things in your first paragraph... He called us to "love" because love covers a multitude of sins. A lot of Christians fail to love others. Nobody is perfect, certainly not me. I think a lot of Christians get into the holy is me mindset.. But you pile it up and all our righteousness is as filthy rags. You ask what is I'm wrong? The only thing that keeps me chuggin along is faith, the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. Take a page from Christ, who dined with the sinner, or who did not look down on Mary Magdelan. It's all about grace, we as humans should be so fortunate to bestow it to someone today.