Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 1 decade ago

NEED TO FIND TWO PAINTINGS BY TWO ARTISTS TO COMPARE FOR HIGHER ART AND DESIGN (NAB IN THREE DAYS)?

i have two compare two still lifes by separate artists and compare their work. i've researched but i'm finding it extremely difficult to find similarities between them. my artists that i have to choose from are: paul deraine, piccaso, van gogh, henri matisse, winifred nicholson, ben nicholson, george braque and elizabeth blackadder... i have to choose two artists from that list and pick one still life by my chosen two and then write an essay on them... i have three days. if anyone has any suggestions please email: la.sotisse@hotmail.com or reply to this... could you maybe suggest two paintings and state what i could compare about nthem? thanks!

MUST BE STILL LIFES

• bambam
    Favorite Answer

I would choose Picasso & Matisse, have a read on Wikipedia and look at some of their paintings on Google Images and pick two paintings that YOU want to compare.

Just take a couple of hours out and give it some focus, pick what you want to write about and forget about the rest.

How many words is your essay supposed to be?

• Chris

Open Window, Collioure, 1905

by Henri Matisse

http://www.art.co.uk/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--10298826/sp-...

and

From Bedroom Window, Bankshead, date unknown,

Winifred Nicholson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winifred_Nicholson

these may be a good start as they both are similar in subject matter

I e a view from a window.

whilst Matisse uses the window to fram the exterior

Nicholson reveals a little detail of the room

and her use of colour is as typical of her style as is Matisses.

I'd go with Picasso and Van Gogh, for obvious reasons. Their styles are completely different, but they do have some similarities (both used strong, bold colors, for instance).

• Orla C

Pick Matisse and Picasso, they were contemporaries and knew each other and each other's work very well. They kind of admired each other's work too, and you can see how they influenced each other.