Which of the Famous Passings of '08 Hit Home For You?

I was looking over this memoriam & had forgotten about several of these. Many made me shake my head while thinking of what made them a little special for me...

http://movies.msn.com/movies/year-in-review/in-mem...

For me & in no order. Just following the pics:

Heath Ledger - mainly because he was so young.

Paul Newman- Great respect for him & his work. That one was sad.

Estelle Getty- made me think of how I used to watch Golden Girls w/ my late Grandmother.

Charton Heston- his role in "Planet of the Apes" was a big influnce on my movie taste when I was a kid.

George Carlin- what can I say? He made me laugh til I couldn't breathe. A comedy original. Do we even have comedians like him anymore?

Issac Hayes- I used to LOVE the "Shaft" theme as a kid. Still do.

Bo Diddley- because the man oozed coolness & it was a name I've always known.

Rick Wright- I hate when we lose major rock names. :(

Harvey Korman- I used to LOVE watching The Carol Burnett Show

Jerry Reed- His song "Amos Moses" is an old summer camp memory for me.

Gary Gygax- creator of Dungeons & Dragons. This one Really hit home heavy. I used to play D&D religiously back in the day.

John Philip Law- I always loved those Sinbad movies w/ the stop-motion monsters! It was Really sad for me w/ him. I still love those movies. They laid the groundwork for my love of fantasy.

David- he's on the list in the link

Wire- Def' Odetta too. I got to see her this past summer.

80s Man- good Friday to you too, man

Hi Shades- There you are! :)

I just picked from the list in the link.

Favorite Answer

Bernie Mac probably hit the hardest... I didn't realize he was ill, and I LOVED his show. SO much of that show reminded me of MY daughters.

Your list is good, I add these Because I'm "OLD", these folks also hit home:

Dick Martin - of "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in"

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - taught the Beatles to meditate

Charlton Heston - He's MOSES for God's sake !!

Richard Widmark - Just a CLASSIC

Arthur C. Clarke, a writer whose seamless blend of scientific expertise and poetic imagination helped usher in the space age, died March 19; he was 90

Roy Scheider - JAWS

Suzanne Pleshette - Had a crush on her long ago

And NOT famous, but: Jose & Larry, two of the locals here at my bar.

1. Bobby Thomson - No other home run has had the importance to be called the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" 2. Hank Aaron - #715, very few records are held in such high esteem as the career home run leader, and being congratulated by two fans as he rounded the bases to break the record. 3. Carlton Fisk - The image of Fisk waving the ball fair in the 1975 World Series for the walk-off in game 6 made the series one of the best in history. 4. Joe Carter - Maybe the best reaction to any home run, Carter jumping in joy around the bases after his walk-off shot to end the 1993 World Series was an unforgettable moment. 5. Mark McGwire - Steroids or no, baseball was revitalized by the 1998 season, and hitting #62, followed by hugging Sammy Sosa at home plate, was an unforgettable moment.

Jerry Reed - I loved Smokey And The Bandit when i was a kid so i knew of him mostly because of that film. As i got older, i found out that he was a country singer through my dad because he had some of his albums

Stan Winston - Some of my favourite films' special FX were created by this man such as The Terminator, Predator, Aliens and Jurassic Park.

Roy Scheider - This hit me because he looks a lot like my dad. Jaws is one my favourite films of all time. I was 7 years old when it was first shown on UK television. My dad used to work evenings at the time so my mam and i watched it together on the sofa, sharing a box of Malteasers. When i first saw Chief Brody on the screen, i actually thought it was my dad. Well, i was only 7 after all.

The one that affected me the most this year is one that not many people will know about. A drummer named Michael Lee died a couple of weeks ago. He's probably best known for his work with Page And Plant.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tOzAKn32bqk

I remember him best as the drummer of Little Angels, a band he was in during the late 80's and early 90's. I saw them a few times and they were really good live.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KabHxrC53tc (sorry about the picture quality, they're all like this)

He was only 39, just four years older than me.

Probably George Carlin hit hardest (been a fan of his since the 60's), closely followed by Arthur C. Clarke (probably second on my list of favorite authors only after the dear departed Dr. A) and Gary Gygax (been an ardent D&Der since the mid-70s and had the chance to meet him a couple of times.)

George Carlin. The man who made me want to be funny for a living. I got the opportunity to see him live about 9 months before he passed. It is one of my favorite memories.

George Carlin - Funniest man ever!

Mike Smith of The Dave Clark Five (great singer from one of my favorite bands)

Jeff Healey (one of my favorite guitarists)

Harvey Korman - Tim Conway could always get him laughing!

Nice list, Fonzie.

It's Rick Wright for me... the Floyd has been one of my favorite bands since the early '70s, and losing a founding member was just hard to take.

He aged well and with dignity, still playing as recently as (I think) 2005, when I got to see him along with David Gilmore.

RIP all.

• hey fonzie. good friday to ya.

for me rick wright hit me hard. i love floyd. even though as we all know im a hair metal freak, pink floyd has been and will remain my favorite band of all time. his sound was so soothing and sounded so melodic.

also george carlin. he was so funny and yet made you think twice on happenings in the world....may they all rest in peace....

they are all in a better place than us right now.....

Carlin and Bernie Mac.

Bernie Mac should be on the list as well.

Anyway, I was shocked be Ledger's death.It was quite tragic.

Sorry, my bad.I thought your list was a summary of theirs.

Cheers