What is the average hourly wage of U.S. auto workers at Toyota and Honda?

Another question on Yahoo Answers addresses the hourly wage of UAW auto workers: http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?q...

It would be nice to have the comparable answer for the companies Congress is considering bailing out since this seems to be a sticking point in the recent negotiations.

Favorite Answer

worker at the Georgetown ky. plant where Camry's are assembled starting pay is 18.00 to 25.00. the office in hebron ky is starting pay at 19.00 a hour plus benefits

Source(s): i have several friend that work there plus i was interviewed for a position at the georgetown plant

Im sure Toyota workers make time and 1/2 for hours worked over forty hours as well. If you are going to compare, lets compare apples to apples. I work at GM and I have never met anyone who makes $39 per hour. We make about the same hourly wage as the Toyota workers. I started out at $15 per hour in 1999. $28 now with Blue Cross insurance. Im sick of these posts where no one has there facts straight. GM has carried this country through two World Wars, producing the tanks, jeeps and planes needed to help us win. Now the republicans want to drive blue collar wages down to third world standards.=========== Of course, its the Republican's fault. Not the fact that 80% of Americans dont support bailing you out either. No one is forcing you to take 3rd world wages...but dont ask for our money either. You want our money, take a pay cut to other Americans. You make more than I do and I have a college degree. You dont need a college degree for what you do. What makes you so special??? Capitalism is what makes this country great...not blackmail and mafia tactics by the unions. Get an education.

Im sure Toyota workers make time and 1/2 for hours worked over forty hours as well. If you are going to compare, lets compare apples to apples. I work at GM and I have never met anyone who makes $39 per hour. We make about the same hourly wage as the Toyota workers. I started out at $15 per hour in 1999. $28 now with Blue Cross insurance. Im sick of these posts where no one has there facts straight. GM has carried this country through two World Wars, producing the tanks, jeeps and planes needed to help us win. Now the republicans want to drive blue collar wages down to third world standards.

UAW members make about $29.00 an hour, yes they have great benefits, don't we all wish our employers provided us with them? BTW, they do have co-pays. I know this boosts the hourly rate up, but it does not equal $70.00. Also, I would say about 90% earn this pay, yes there are some who do not give a whole days worth of work, but this is true in all work places. You have to look at what these jobs do to their bodies after 20-30 years, a lot of them end up with multiple injuries, that affects their quality of life. They also work in undesirable conditions, the plants are very hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, climbing in and out of small areas to assemble the cars that are moving while they are doing this, they work very long hours with very short notice, missing family functions, they have no sick days or vacation days. They do have 2 annual shut downs, when the plants go through "change overs", this is their vacation time, they can not pick the time of year like most of us. Now on the other hand, I do not agree with the SUB pay, or the JOB banks. If my employer had no work available for me, and by contract they had to pay me, I am sure they would have me cleaning, painting, or something to earn that money. I know this is against the contract, but this is the time to change it. I am not saying take a pay cut at all, but the SUB pay and the JOB banks are one way to help out, the CEO's and the management need to take major consessions first to show they want these companies to survive too. Now one more thing, please buy American made cars, this is one of the last major purchase you can make and easily choose where the profits will stay in the states, you will support American workers, not just the big 3, but all of the support that goes into these cars.

Source(s): credit manager who sees UAW pay stubs daily.

The 75 dollars an hour for UAW workers listed by a previous poster is bogus and has already been debunked. The media continues to use that figure even though it accounts not only for the hourly wages and benefits paid to current workers but also the benefits and pensions paid to all the retired workers and lumps them together with current employees. It's a completely false and dishonest figure meant to disparage the unions. The actual hourly wage paid to auto workers is closer to 28.00 an hour plus an additional ten dollars if you include benefits. If Republicans really want Americans to continue to make less and less for their labor while CEOs continue to rape and pilage then they better be prepared to provide American workers a social safety net such as many European and Asian countries provide their citizens; universal health care, decent unemployment benefits and paid higher level education. Otherwise we can all kiss the American dream bye bye.

• Rick K

According to some of the stuff on the tv. the folks that work at the toyota and honda plant with benefits earn on the average of 35 buck an hour While the folks from the BIG 3 make over 75 bucks an hour.

Mind you this include there benefits. I mean the UAW is quite a powerful Union! and ther are people who all they do is walk around and if someone decides to go home they take over that spot! I have a friend who works at one of the Big 3 and He even says that they are way over paid! Some people come in and only work like 4 hrs and then leave so the "floaters" take over to finish up!

"And the CEO of Coca Cola earns 12 million a year plus stock options...and precisely what does he produce that is worth so much more than the manufacturing workers who build the cars and trucks that keep the country moving around??"

He/she produces strategy. The Coca Cola CEO earns more because he/she works at a higher level. The ability to position the company to one of the highest profit corps in the world. Not really the same as mixng the cane sugar into the flavor vat. If you want CEO pay, you need to contribute at CEO level... and we all find our level don't we?

I might suggest that you try this web page where onel can compare rates from the best companies: http://INSURECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5YAwk...

RE :What is the average hourly wage of U.S. auto workers at Toyota and Honda?

Follow 9 answers

Source(s): I might suggest that you try this web page where onel can compare rates from the best companies: http://INSURECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5YAwk...

General Motors Corp. (GM) explained the calculation for its total compensation and benefits in the "Other Benefits" section of its Media Handbook, available on its website at www.media.gm.com/manufacturing/handbook (accessed Nov. 30, 3008):

"The total of both cash compensation and benefits provided to GM hourly workers in 2006 amounted to approximately $73.26 per active hour worked. This total is made of two main components: cash compensation ($39.68) and benefit/government required programs ($33.58).

The average annual cash compensation for hourly employees in 2006 was $39.68 per hour. Included in average earnings are straight-time pay, Cost of Living Allowance (COLA), night-shift premiums, overtime premiums, holiday and vacation pay. In 2003, GM workers logged 41,363 (hours in 000’s) in overtime hours for an average of 371 hours per worker; in 2004, 39,409 overtime hours for an average of 374 hours per worker; in 2005, 33,555 overtime hours for an average of 337 hours per worker; and in 2006, 27,265 overtime hours for an average of 315 hours per worker.

Benefit/government required programs in 2006 added an additional $33.58 for each active hour worked. These costs include: group life insurance, disability benefits, and Supplemental Unemployment Benefits (SUB), Job Security (JOBS), pensions, unemployment compensation, Social Security taxes, and hospital, surgical, prescription drug, dental, and vision care benefits."

Source(s): www.media.gm.com/manufacturing/handbook
  • nocks

Toyota Hebron Ky