Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 decade ago

I am planning on getting a MSI GeForce FX 5200 (AGP 8x, 128MB)?

Will this require me to connect the graphics card to my monitor using a cable of some kind?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello,

(ANS) Yes! No.1 Please make absolutely certain your computer motherboard supports AGP x8 slot inside the system box. You might even need to open up the system unit to check. OR your computers documentation may confirm it comes with an AGP x8 graphics slot.

No.2 YES! This graphics card will need very specific connectors to connect its out put sockets on the back (outside) of the card to your monitor. Once again make absolutely certain you know what specific connectors are required otherwise your going to end up being very frustrated with a new card which you cannot use because it cannot be connected.

No.3 If your still NOT 100% certain what connectors are needed then a) contact the manufacturers of the card or b) have a look through the makes website, you should be able to find out from there.

No.4 Many (most) graphics cards now have HDMI (high definition or high def ready) connectors which are designed to match up with either flat panel displays or Flat panel LCD or Plasma TV's.

**The older CRT monitors use a completely different connector, as do older graphics cards i.e. PCI cards,etc.

Hope that helps?

Kind Regards Ivan.

computer veteran.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

make sure your mother board has an agp slot. Next check the back of you monitor for connections. Your existing monitor cable should be fine as they are mostly standard, however your monitor may have the new digital interface which is the square one and is better. If you do not have a cable you will need to buy one, however you can still use the old cable and won't notice much difference.

• 4 years ago

The answer wherein you are told to get a newer card misses the point of your question. I have and use very happily both an X1600 AGP and an X1650 PCI-E. They more than blow away the NV. The FX5200 was a piece of crap when it came out, perhaps only beaten as the worst card of its day by the S3 VirGE. Those who again remember the Decelerater, I apologize to. As the rest of your system is quite dated, (S478, 865PE chipset, DDR), you may not be able to game at as high a level as you might want. The video card you are asking about has distinct limits, (DX9, MSAA isn't much good here, low ROPs, limited internal bandwidth), but if you drop the resolution and limit the eye candy, you should be able to play online quite satisfactorily. I use both of mine on Steam and have no real problems. My games on Steam include Audiosurf, HalfLife 2, HL2 DM, Lost Coast, Quake 1, 2, 3, Trackmania, Unreal Tournament 3. i hope this helps. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

The VGA or DVI cable that came with your monitor is all you will need.

TIP: If you plan to do any Gaming, don't expect more than about 6 FPS. I have one of these (256MB VRAM) and it is useless for most modern games, but it works great for nearly everything else.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Nedan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Looking it up it has this:

Miscellaneous Cables Included 1 x DVI-VGA adapter , 1 x S-Video cable - 6 ft

• Gary G
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes...

The same one thats attached to your monitor already.

Just detach the cable from the graphics card, uninstall the old graphics card, install the new one, reattach the monitor cable.

Job Done!

• 1 decade ago

agp cards are outdated and u'll hardly find such card, if anyhow u got this card there will be more difficult to find a supportive motherboard. so better option go for a pci-e 16x card

• 1 decade ago

Yes. Either a VGA or DVI cable.

Look HERE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI_cable

or HERE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

fore more info.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

dude, if you dont even know about the cables

im worried about you even fitting it in your machine. Make sure you mount yourself n stuff...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.