How many hope the UAW causes the automakers to go bankrupt? ?

The UAW union has stopped the bailout of the autoworkers and now theres a chance the automakers will go bankrupt...Hmm guess the UAW will love their UNEMPLOYED workers then huh. The Unions are the reason US Autoworkers arent competitive Forcing companies to pay their workers 2 to 3x More than the Forgien Makers .. How Are Us makers supposed to compete with that?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I read this in the papers this morning. No big surprise here.

The Senate Committee has indeed stopped the bailout for now. This was a result of the UAW refusing to make wage concessions until their current contract runs out in 2011. They seem totally determined to help out in this matter.

All they were asked was to accept wage parity with American workers working in USA based foreign owned plants. They refused leaving the committee no choice but to vote against the bailout package. This is temporary. They will resume talks when the Union membership realizes what their executive has done. These people can't be that naive as to think that everybody doesn't have to make some sacrifices here.

And if they don't smarten up soon American Consumers are going to start putting off their purchases of American cars because of the instability of the automakers. Would you buy a car from someone if you thought they wouldn't be in business long enough to honour your warranty. I certainly would not.

If the Unions do not come forth some concessions soon they will have no one to blame but themselves for the failure of the bailout package.

Here is a NEWS FLASH - GM just announced it is closing all operations for the month of January. The only plant operational will be Oshawa, Ontario. They build the New Camaro.

Source(s): Wall Street Journal. ABC News. NBC News. CNN. CBC. CTV. Global News. London Times. Miami Herald.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Looks like the Demo are out but Outnumbered huh Edward and Ztim..

Once upon a time Unions were needed to prevent unfair labor practices now they are used to Force Overpaying and excess benifits!

The UAW is gonna cut its own throat if they dont cut wages asap their workers wont have any wages...cept Unemployment and it will serve them right.

Yes edward/Z US autoworkers are paid 50-75% more than their forgien counterparts..because if they arent ...they will strike....Betcha they wont strike anytime soon lol!

As for watching Fox...well its on all the news networks Get over it.

Unions have surpassed thier usefulness. If the big 3 file bankruptecy i say good maybe when another arises from the ashes they wont allow unions in the workplace.

• 1 decade ago

I don't understand the UAW. They have the most to lose if this deal does not go through. They carry the biggest gun in these negotiations and they seem determined to blow their feet off with it. Makes no sense at all.

Let's face; some people are going to lose their jobs and others are going to have to take pay cuts. There is no way around that if the Big Three are to survive their economic crisis. They cannot continue to built and sell cars that cost twice as much as the competition.

I hope these Union people are stashing a lot of money away because this 'boom' of theirs is going to end badly if they don't bring something to the table too. It was suggested years ago that they enter into a profit sharing agreement instead of huge pay increases. The Unions out refused of greed. Now they are going to pay for it. One way or another this current tactic of the Union is going to fail also.

• Likwit
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Having worked at a major Japanese manufacturer, I always found it interesting on the pride of my fellow corporate employees that our North American manufacturing plants were non-unionized. Truth be told, they were being paid considerably less than their GM/Chrysler/Ford counterparts, and those in the know were not happy about it. The UAW started off as the backbone support for the employee, but it slowly went down hill. Some manufacturing employees make a little more than your average mall salesperson on commission. The union's main downfall wasn't paying their employees $60+ hr for line work (though, it was part of the problem), it was creating crazy contracts for domestic workers that essentially over-valued this employee tenfold, under the assumption that the auto sector would experience continual growth forever.

Source(s): Corporate Japanese automaker experience
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

i don't think of that we'd desire to constantly enable the automobile manufacturers fail. This economic gadget is a proper hurricane that's in assessment to something that has occurred in the previous, and their failure could be attributed, ordinarily, to the economic gadget and the credit disaster. consistent with threat they are not as aggressive as they might desire to be, yet i think of they might thrive in the event that they are aided in weathering this hurricane. to not bail them out sounds like an simple answer, however the impact is going to be vast. this is going to propose checklist unemployment tiers and each little thing featuring it. in the tip, the fee to the yankee tax payer might probably be better if the vast 3 are allowed to fail. i comprehend there are people who're adversarial to any form of welfare, yet with out it, and with the economic gadget being the way it is, those people will obtain little or no (if any) charity, will not be able to discover paintings, and ought to finally end up loss of existence. it is great to easily bail out the vast 3, and in the event that they nonetheless fail, it would probably take place one by one -- not all 3 at as quickly as. that's too lots for our fragile economic gadget to guard. That being reported, i think of the UAW desires to additionally make some considerable concessions or be abolished altogether.

• 1 decade ago

I guess you watch FOX news, lol.

(1)How are american workers supposed to compete with Chinese workers that are forced to work for (USD)$.80/hr. THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.

(2)Foreign manufacturers in the U.S. pay about the same as domestic manufacturers in the U.S. (some plants more, some plants less).

(3)The UAW is not stopping the bailout. Senators and Representatives with foreign factories in their states are. (could be a coincidence, but I doubt it)

(4)The U.S. government should not "micro-manage" companies with such things, like pay and all that. If they're going to give them money, give them what they think is appropriate, then the company has to go over the finances with the Union, and let them both decide what's appropriate.

(6)All these problems are the cause of poor management, and failure to look at the future. Short-Term gains, instead of Long-Term stability.

(7)I assume your anti-union. Do some research, and look at what unions have done for you (assuming your not some rich owner, that doesn't do any work for your money). There would be no middle-class without unions. We would not have a 40-day work week and over-time pay. We would not have holiday pay and time off. We would not have worker safety. We would not have sick days, etc....

(8)Unions are Democracy.

• Chev M
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

get rid of uaw union problem solved

• ztim
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Where in the world did you get your information? It so happens that the "foreign" auto makers that have plants here in the United States pay their workers more than the US auto makers. It is our government that just nixed the bail out. The real problem is that we are not making the right kind of of autos that get decent gas mileage.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yup....if you think times are hard now...well their about to get a whole lot harder!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.