Does anybody have an analogy for dominant and recessive alleles?

I have a paper due tomorrow on an analogy for dominant and recessive genes, does anybody have suggestions? I am open to anything.

Favorite Answer

This may be "out there" but here's my shot at it. Two analogies actually.

The recessive gene is like a white sheet of paper and the dominant is like a colored dye. The color will always show up, but the white cannot over power the color.

If there are two whites however then the offspring will be white.

The dominant gene could be like a bossy person, the recessive like a meek person. If they walk around together only the loud person will be heard, but if two shy people walk together then they will both be heard.

Sorry, I kind of rushed this. Hope it helps though

Andrea C's second analogy is the better of the two. I use nearly the same analogy in my teaching but you have to be careful not to give the impression that dominant alleles are in some way responsible for "strong" or formidable characteristics and recessive alleles for feeble or weak characteristics! The way round this is just to say that dominant alleles have loud, easily heard instructions but that recessive ones have very quiet instructions. The instructions from a dominant allele may shouting out "BE A 70 POUND WEAKLING" whilst at the same time a recessive one is whispering " be a 240 pound macho man". It is the dominant allele that will be heard and expressed!!

Source(s): Me, a biology teacher.
  • Susan

it is not true that traits controlled my dominant alleles are more common always, but in some cases that is true because there are more possibilities for a dominant trait. homozygous dominant, and heterozygous dominant, but recessive alleles are only homozygous recessive unless you want to get into incomplete dominance, co dominance, and so on. the dominant trait may not also show up if it is a sex linked trait. now the recessive ALLELE might be just ask common, but it is masked more often than shown in most cases. most cases, not all.