What do Protestants think of Catholic priests and nuns?

I'm not asking the opinions of the scandals that involved some of the priests, but I'm talking about in general. What do Protestants generally think of priests and nuns (in the christian faith) and why?

I know many of them frown upon Catholics in general because of a disagreement of ways, but as far as priests and nuns go I never really heard the Protestant/non-catholic christian opinion of them.

Kevin- yea I know how CJ/Chris is....he's plagued every question and continues to...

Kevin- I know what you mean (former Catholic now a Spiritual Deist/New Age that respects Catholicism)

• KL
    Best Answer

I feel the same way about them I feel about other Catholics, that they're my brothers and sisters in the Lord. Personally, if someone wants to devote themselves to ministry, I'm all for it. I especially have respect for nuns. I'm not against priests, I just think that cloistered nuns are cool.

I think Catholic doctrine and traditions are full of error, but I don't think it's a cult. Obviously, many Protestants have a problem with Catholic doctrine and traditions, or the Protestant Reformation would not have occurred. That's where we get the title "Protestant" from. The bible the Catholic church uses has several books that are not in the canon, and the Protestants don't have them in their bibles. Many doctrinal teachings and traditions of Catholicism come from these books. I don't have a problem with priests and nuns, but I don't' believe it is commanded that to be a teacher or preacher requires one's celibacy.

• David

I've never met a priest or a nun that I didn't like. Even though I disagree with your theology in many ways, I do not doubt that Catholics are Christians.

There are more things that are similar than things that are different between Catholics and Protestants. It is healthy to have different opinions as long as there is respect for each institution and there is today in an official capacity. When some group or individual starts focusing on one of the few things that are different, then there is usually a political purpose behind it.

Protestants are indifferent towards priests and nuns in all honesty. We do not think it's right/wrong. The ideas that are disagreed upon are issues of who is being worshipped and the sacraments. For example, Protestants do not believe that the communion wine turns into Jesus' blood. Also, Protestants do not believe that Mary is more holy than any one else. If she was without sin and pure, she must be a God too because "man is conceived and born in sin" according to Psalm 51. If she was born of a woman...she was born with sin like the rest of mankind.

Source(s): I'm a Protestant.

There are priests and nuns in protestant churches so which priests

and nuns are you writing about?

We are all bothers and sister in the eyes of the lord, he does not love us by the title of our faith, he loves us for us, as We should others but sad to say its not that way,

but your right, i have never heard anything on how pretestant think of priests or nuns, a very good answer, i researched it for about and hour and still could not come up with anything where there has been a comment about this subject , a very good questions, wondering minds want to know .

god bless

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

depends on the individual

i only know 2 catholics priests...my town's old one and my town's new one. I'm Lutheran but I miss Father Gary :( He was one of the nicest people I knew.

the new father is a douche from what I've heard

in my own opinion is that catholic priest or nuns teaches confused mind people to the wrong way.. they interpret the writings in the bible far from the truth.

if you want to worship god why go ask and pray to Mary / mama mary?

why do we have to repeat prayers that is the same and repeated everyday?

why do we have to see the cross as symbol of Christianity when what it really portray is gods death and that god is dead?

why do they have to have a pope or "father" who's living in Vatican, when what we have is God the father who's in heaven himself?

why would we have to ask for the pope for our souls and pray to him when we ourselves can pray for ourselves straight to god?

--wehhh

I deeply respect their commitment to their faith, and God, I also admire their modest clothing and their hearts to serve.

Evangelical protestant