Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 7

Stars move across the sky each night. How could one stand still over a town (much less over a single stable)?

"After they had heard the king, they (the Magi) went on their way, and the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him." (Matthew 2:9-11a)

If something like that happened, what would explain the lack of any record except in just one book? After all, there were many astronomers & astrologers in the Bronze age.

^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^

Update:

EARTHA: I suggest that you check out the observatory yourself. You may be surprised how little you know.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is one of several clues that the story is a legend. Attempts to identify the "Bethlehem star" are as pointless as an inquiry as to Cinderella's shoe size.

In Matthew's day, when no-one knew what stars actually are, they were often thought to be angels. That makes it easier to interpret the details in Matthew 2; stars can't move, then stop and hover low in the sky, but angels - presumably - can.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know this may not be the answer you're looking for, but God made the stars, and He can command them to do whatever He wants to. Accept it or not, if God is real, then that's really the only answer that's required. Besides, the stars never move. We do, and so that's why the stars seem to "travel", it's because we rotate on an axis. Considering that stars are in a fixed point in space, I don't believe it's irrational to say that God directed it to shine over the stable.

Besides, there may have been astronomers (in fact, the magi were astronomers -- probably the reason God chose to direct them with a star). But they didn't keep records. So we would never have a record of it, just like Joshua's long day, where the sun "stood still in the sky". We don't have any record of it because records weren't being kept.

• 5 years ago

Occasionally, when you look up at night, a star may appear to move. This is especially true if: 1. You are not accustomed to the darkness, so only a few stars are visible. 2. You move your head suddenly to look up. What is happening is that the fluid in your inner ear is moving due to the motion of your head. It may take a few seconds to settle down. If there are little or no visual cues, then your brain interprets whatever you are seeing as moving relative to you. This is a common illusion that is well known by pilots who fly at night. Lights on the ground may appear to be above the horizon, and they sometimes appear to be moving. Folks who are unfamiliar with this frequently report sightings of UFOs and other strange stuff. It's not that strange. In fact, it's perfectly normal. Other possibilities include aircraft lights that are changing heading, or satellites that are obscured by clouds. Satellites cannot move and then stop - they would not remain in orbit.

• 1 decade ago

I assume you did not look into this before you posted the question.

That star was found ages ago by astronomers and the event of the star is known as a historic event, that includes the date of occurrence.

A simple visit to any observatory would answer your question.

Source(s): Bible Student
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The north star is fixed in the sky.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's when some stars (or the planet Venus) aligns all at the same time.

ahahahahahah.

I'm laughing at my answer.....

• 1 decade ago

Here is one answer and, please rent this video.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.