dell 4550 drive seek error?

i was switching hard drives i unplugged the computer and unplugged the master hard drive i plunged it back in and powered up, it keeps saying drive seek error the HD it pretty new what is causing that to happen anf how to fix it

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Error Message: Seek error

Translation:

This type of error message could display when you try to access a hard drive or floppy diskette drive, which may either contain damaged and corrupted data or physical damage to the media the data is stored on. If you see this message when you start your PC, you should start picking out a new hard drive.

Solution:

Use ScanDisk to test the media, whether that involves diskettes or a hard drive. If ScanDisk reveals numerous errors on a diskette or hard drive, it’s time to replace it. From the Start menu, select Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click ScanDisk. Click the drive you want to test, select Thorough, and then click Start. (Selecting the Thorough option enables ScanDisk to test the drive for physical damage.) If ScanDisk discovers damage, you’ll have the option to try to save it to a file or discard it. Running ScanDisk in the Thorough mode may take a considerable amount of time, depending on the size of the drive.

If Windows is unable to boot, you can run ScanDisk from the Emergency Startup Diskette. Just insert the startup diskette into drive A and turn on your PC. At the A> prompt, type scandisk x: (where x is the drive letter you want to scan) to start the application. When ScanDisk finishes a quick checkup, click Yes to perform a surface scan of the drive. If errors are found, we suggest that you replace the hard drive as soon as possible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.