Can a Green Card Holder apply for his Son?

Quick question, can a green card holder apply for his son who is not yet 21 but will be in a year.

Also, how long does it take before he will be issued his visa if applicant is a green card holder.

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Fred is absolutely correct. Ibu Guru mostly hangs around here intentionally handing out false information. If you doubt it, you don't have to believe either one, and you can look it up for yourself at If you file the petition before your son turns 21, the petition will take 5 to 7 years before it will become valid as an F2a, just as Fred says. If you wait until he turns 21, it will be an F2b and the wait will be considerably longer. However, he will have to remain single while waiting for the petition, or he will lose his eligibility.

  • Fred S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Just about everything ibu guru told you is false. "Your son is over 18. You will have to wait until (if) you become a citizen to sponsor his immigration." That is 100% false.

    "Legal permanent residents cannot sponsor immigrants." That is 100% false.

    Lawful permanent residents can petition for their spouses, their children and their unmarried sons and daughters. At this moment, your son is classifiable as an F2-1 immigrant, the child of a LPR alien. Right now, the shortest waiting period for a visa in that classification is just under 5 years.

    For Mexican born beneficiaries the wait is about 7 years. If you become a U.S. citizen while he's waiting for his visa date, the petition can be converted to a better classification with a shorter waiting time.

    Submit an I-130 with the fee and supporting documents ASAP.

    Source(s): INA 203(a)(
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yes but it takes between 8 to 14 years at present depending on the country of origin. If he gets married then you have to be a citizen.

  • 1 decade ago

    Your son is over 18. You will have to wait until (if) you become a citizen to sponsor his immigration. Legal permanent residents cannot sponsor immigrants. If you become a citizen and sponsor him, it depends what country he is a citizen of and how long the line is from that country. Could be 5 - 15 years. If you just got your green card, 6 years or so before you actually get citizenship. If immigration applications continue to increase, it could be longer by that time.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    false information is just plain dumb.

    You can sponsor your son at any age as a legal resident. Time will be a factor though not sure how long.

  • 1 decade ago

    Get a a lawyer ASAP. Seriously, time is against you. Do not trust legal advice given over the internet.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No. He is too old and you need to be a citizen first

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.