What Ever Happened to the Two "Great Commandments?"?

One should love Yahweh with one's entire heart, soul, mind, and strength. One should love one's neighbour as one would love oneself.

It was 35 degrees out last night, and through a comedy of errors, I locked myself out of both my house and my car. I'm disabled, and the only people at home and close enough for me to walk were my next door neighbors. I explained what had happened (and why I was in serious trouble) and asked if I could stay with them for half an hour until my husband got home. Their answer was, "I'm sorry, but we have to leave for church now."

I spent over an hour out in the cold, wondering why church took precedence over a neighbor in desperate need of help. So my questions are: Do churches no longer teach "Love thy neighbor as thyself?"and how do I forgive people who are theoretically my brother and sister in Christ?

Any help on that last one would be appreciated. I was awake all last night, trying to fend off bitterness and anger.

I'm glad your church teaches them, Fireball. I wasn't invited to go with them, and I was taught not to stay where I'm not wanted.

This is the absolute truth, Lone Ranger, but the whole thing reads like a comedy skit.

I went out to get something to eat, and when I got home, I accidentally dropped my keys in between the seat and the console. While I was trying to retrieve my keys, I punched a hole in a 44 oz. diet Coke.

I mopped up the Coke with napkins, tossed the whole mess in the now empty styrofoam cup, and got out of the car to throw the cup away. The car door swung shut when I bumped it -- leaving house and car keys, purse, and cell phone locked in the car.

Why the door was locked, I have no idea. It should have been unlocked, unless I bumped the button as I was cleaning up the soda.

If it had been a balmy summer evening, I'd have been the first to laugh. Being disabled (wheelchair locked in car, BTW) in 35 degree weather is a lot less than funny.

There are so many wonderful, compassionate answers here that I am unable to pick just one. This is going to have to go to Voting.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and your kindness. You're good people, and you've helped me more than you know.

• Best Answer

Even if they had to go to church, wouldn't it have been better if they said, I have to go out but, wait here and lock the door behind you when you leave. You wouldn't have minded staying by your self in shelter, until you could get in your own home. They would still be putting God first and also be doing the right thing for you, giving you shelter. Your right this is a selfish society. I'm sorry you had to experience first hand, how people are today. I'm sure God wasn't pleased. even if they did go to church. Hippocrates! They need a lot of prayers. They certainly have no Christmas in them, what happened to charity and kindness. God bless you, Merry Christmas.

Source(s): Roman Catholic, Pray the Rosary daily
  • ;)

Oh Wolfie i am so very sorry your neighbours lack basic human compassion and were unable to be there for you - especially since your struggling to walk.

Personally i think it's 'conditioning' and 'got to get to church' !! - church comes before people! - it does happen sometimes.

I'm disabled too (walking disability) so i know the energy it takes just to walk a short distance to a neighbours.

To answer your first question: I don't think we learn in church to love our neighbour as our self - we here it - we know the scripture, but actually carrying out the act of love comes through relationship with the Lord - then again, some people have it in abundance and others don't.

Answer to your second question on how do you forgive: as someone looking on, they are to be pitied for their lack of knowing how to express love - they can only give what they have received - and if they don't receive much love, they can't express love to others - it makes me very sad if they lack much love in their lives.

After i got over the initial shock, i would pray God would bring so much love into their lives, they wouldn't be able to contain it ; )

I'm sure you'll find forgiveness in your heart - the light of Christ shines through you here.

The joy of the Lord is your strength dear sister xx

Gee, Is all I can say is, "I'm so sorry they treated you that way".

41 And whosoever will force thee one mile, go with him other two, 42

Give to him that asketh of thee and from him that would borrow of

thee turn not away. 43 You have heard that it hath been said, Thou

shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thy enemy. 44 But I say to you,

Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them

that persecute and calumniate you: 45 That you may be the children of

your Father who is in heaven, who maketh his sun to rise upon the

good, and bad, and raineth upon the just and the unjust.

46 For if you love them that love you, what reward shall you have? do

not even the publicans this? 47 And if you salute your brethren only,

what do you more? do not also the heathens this? 48 Be you therefore

perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect.

46 "The publicans"... These were the gatherers of the public taxes: a

set of men, odious and infamous among the Jews, for their extortions

and injustice.

Gospel According to Saint Matthew

Your always welcome in my home gf...(((Hugs))).

PS. Hide a key! I use my hidden key more than the one in my purse!

Source(s): Catholic@Heart

Don't blame the whole church for the actions of your neighbors.

I would have let my neighbors stay at my house without me there, no problem. Then again, I know them well and trust them. Do you know your neighbors well and you all get along ok? I would have also considered staying home from church unless I was scheduled to perform in the choir or usher or something that they were counting on me for.

I also live in Minnesota where we don't consider 35 all that cold. I've accidentally locked my teen daughter out in worse weather than that, oops.

I'm really sorry that happened to you, but I don't have enough information to condemn your neighbors or blame whole churches. I hope people are more helpful to you in the future.

This sounds a bit fishy and contrived, but if it is true then you just have the wrong neighbors.

I know of churches that would teach their followers to do this though.

Edit: Glad you clarified that, there is so much garbage on R&S it is impossible to take sincerity at face value. Again, I know of chruches that would discourage helping folks in trouble. They are like the people Christ was talking about in the parable of the good Samaritian and are not Christian at all.

BTW, I am also handicapped, deaf in both ears. One time I had a car accident and had no cell phone and could not text or call my Dad for help. I went to a house to ask the owners to call for help for me and they wouldn't. I had a long walk to get help, so it is not like I cannot sympathise with your plight. It is not just supposed Christians that would do this either. My personal feeling is that when folks are faced with handicapped people they just do not know how to react, and they do not think clearly. However, someone getting ready to go to Church or something like that had no excuse as they forgot the first great commandment.

i believe some good and true churches still teach the 2 greatest commandments. if they don't, then they'd turn out to be false.

i think what they did was wrong. if they knew it was freezing outside and they were like the only neighbors there, they should've welcomed you in and let you stay until your husband came home.

it's like when Jesus and His disciples were walking through the grainfields and they began to pick grains to eat and it was a Sabbath. when asked why they were doing this, Jesus said that when David and his companions were hungry, they entered a church and ate the consecrated bread which were only lawful for the priests.

One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. The Pharisees said to him, "Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"

He answered, "Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."

Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

~ Mark 2:23-28

it may be hard to forgive, but forgive as Jesus forgave you. He died for all of us b/c He loves all of us. since He loves all, who are we to hate 1 another, God's creation?

this is how i forgive and pray for them. if we hate those who's done us wrong, what good will come out of it?

Source(s): a 21 y/o re-born Christian

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Apparently the neighbors don't practice what they preach. I would have let you in or help you get into your home. Hopefully if the time comes you will do the right thing for them and they will see what should have been done. Peace to with You.

Christ came knocking on their door and they were too busy to let Him in because they were late for "church".

Forgive them, forgive them, forgive them, dear.

You are so blessed to know the truth!

Just because they were off to church doesn't mean they were Christians. Too many people who claim to be Christian go to church simply to see and be seen.

If they had been born again Christians they would have invited you to go to church with them, or invited you into their home, out of the cold, before they went to church, to await your husband's return.

Turn your bitterness and anger over to Jesus. He will deal with them in His own good time in a very just manner. Right now it's your responsibility before God to forgive and forget. "Do not let the sun set on your anger".

• Hogie

Wow. A good example of hypocrisy if ever there was one. I'd love to send them a little letter along with a letter to the pastor of their "church."