Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

How much vitamin c does my guinea pig need every day?

And what vegetables are best? How often can I give him kale?

I can't find a good sourse to let me know how much vitamin c is even in kale!

Favorite Answer

Your piggie should get 25mg of vitamin C daily, whether from supplements or from his diet. Sick piggies should get 50mg daily.

Generally, dark green leafy veggies are best. Kale is fine, but not every day. Rotate different veggies through the week.

This link has a chart for Vit. C content in various veggies:

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet_order-c.html

Source(s): Mum to 24 piggies.

1

Source(s): Best Type of Survival Food http://renditl.info/UltimateSurvivalFood

A guinea pig requires about 25mg of vit C a day. If you give your pig the 1 cup of fresh veggies daily he/she will most likely get enough as long as you feed the proper things. Green peppers, parsley, kale, and broccoli all contain tons of Vit C, but not all these are recommended to fee daily. I fee a mix of veggies daily and try to make sure at least 1 of them contains high amounts of vit C. I recommend checking out this site. http://www.mgpr.org/MGPR/Guinea%20Pig%20Diet.htm

Guinea pig pellets usually always contain added vit C and make sure the kind you buy does. Also try to check when it was bagged or when the expiration date is for best results. If you feel your pig is showing signs of deficiency, is pregnant, young, or sick you can give a supplement. Never give a multivit to pigs, but a vit c supplement is ok. This is debated b/c some prefer liquid drops or chewables given to the pig directly. This allows you to know how much the pig gets, but many of these contain sugars to get the pig to take them and are more expensive. Adding to water or food is another way just by crushing a regular vit C tablet (or part of one) and mixing it in water or sprinkling it on their veggies. I have had no problem with adding to water other than you do have to change the water daily b/c it breaks down. However, some don't like this way b/c if your guinea pig doesn't like the taste he/she may not drink enough. I have never had this problem but do recommend knowing how much your pig drinks per day and comparing it to be sure. You can sprinkle it on their veggies, but I have had problems with this b/c they don't seem to eat them then.

Source(s): 2 guinea pigs currently

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

Confirmed Online Store : http://shop3.out2.pw/vlywb

• Bella

For foods rich in vitamin C - http://www.weightlossforall.com/foods-rich-vitamin...

Why does my guinea pig need vitamin C?

Ascorbic acid is essential to good growth and health. Since guinea pigs cannot produce their own vitamin C, it must be supplied in the food they eat.

Certain biologic oxidation and reduction systems depend on it for proper functioning. In its absence, bone and blood vessel abnormalities develop, and enlarged adrenal glands, bleeding in the limb joints, rib muscles and intestines result. Young animals are more likely to exhibit bone deformities than older ones.

How much vitamin C does my cavy need?

The average guinea pig needs between 10 and 30 mg/kg daily for good health.

Actual requirements can vary from one guinea pig to another. Young, pregnant, and ill pigs need more vitamin C than the average pig. Some sources suggest a minimum of 5 to 10 mg/kg of ascorbic acid to maintain good health. Other sources put it at 10-30 mg/kg daily for maintenance and up to 50 mg/kg for treatment of deficiency (Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents - Clinical Medicine and Surgery).

A pregnant pig or one suffering from deficiency requires a minimum of 30 mg/kg (Harkness and Wagner). Vicki of JPGPR's vet recommended 30-50 mg vitamin C daily per adult cavy - depending on size, diet, conditions, and stress. Extremely high doses of ascorbic acid can cause poor growth and can result in a susceptibility to scurvy if the amount is dramatically reduced, even to doses considered adequate for a normal cavy.

Age, sex, amount of stored vitamin, diet, pregnancy, lactation, concomitant disease, and environmental conditions all affect the duration of onset and the magnitude of signs of ascorbic acid deficiency. (Harkness and Wagner).

What are the signs of a deficiency?

Lethargy, weakness, unwillingness to move

Hopping instead of walking, enlarged or stiff limb joints

Not eating, loss of weight

Diarrhea

Eye and nose discharge

Rough coat

Tenderness to touch (may cry out in pain if restrained), poor flesh condition

Internal skeletal-muscular hemorrhage

Vitamin C deficiency can be secondary to other medical problems. For example, a guinea pig with malocclusion that is not eating and losing weight, may not be getting adequate vitamin C.

It is wise to routinely provide extra vitamin C to an ill guinea pig.

Keep in mind, some of these signs such as eye and nose discharge may indicate other serious conditions like a respiratory infection. If your guinea pig is showing some of these signs, do not assume this is "just" a lack of ascorbic acid and fail to provide critical veterinary care for a serious illness. See an experienced vet. Unknowledgeable vets too often diagnose an ill pig with a vitamin C deficiency and leave the underlying problem untreated. You are familiar with your guinea pig's diet. If you are providing adequate amounts of vitamin C, be sure to tell your vet.

If my guinea pig has scurvy, how long will it take to get better?

Recovery from deficiency usually requires a week of treatment.

Give 50mg/kg once a day or

Give 25mg/kg twice a day

How can I make sure my cavy is getting enough vitamin C?

Fresh pellets formulated for guinea pigs and fresh fruits, vegetables, and grasses will be your best source for C. Since the vitamin C content of the foods we provide is constantly degrading, err on the side of caution, and supply a generous amount of vegetables and grasses rich in ascorbic acid.

Ascorbic acid content is affected by temperature, humidity, exposure to light and method of storage. In six weeks as much as half of the vitamin C available to a guinea pig provided by pellets can dissipate according to Harkness and Wagner. Standard pellets should be stored at less than 22 degrees C and used within 90 days of production.

How to store pellets: pick a cool, dark, dry place. Some pellets contain a stabilized vitamin C which will remain viable for much longer periods if properly stored. Check the freshness date on the package.

See also: Diet

See also: Vitamin C Chart

Can I give my guinea pig a vitamin supplement?

If you wish to make sure your guinea pig is getting adequate vitamin C, you can give a vitamin C supplement.

Vitamin supplements: chewable flavored C can be found in 100 mg tablets which when quartered will add 25 mg to a guinea pig's intake. Some people have good luck with liquid vitamin C, which can be found at some health food stores. In cases of deficiency, providing small amounts of vitamin C several times during the day when hand feeding or administering medications may help treat scurvy more quickly. Some pet owners report Rugby's Vitamin C Liquid very popular with their cavies.

Avoid multivitamins! Vitamin supplements should only contain ascorbic acid. "Multivitamins should not be used because of the potential for toxic overdose of vitamins other than C." (Hark