Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 decade ago

What does it mean when your galbladder dosnt empty properly?

I had a HIDA scan yesterday and it showed my Gallbladder was not properly emptying. they has to give me a medication to stimulate it which prompted a gallbaldder attack,,,what will this all mean?

Best Answer

Hi jenblair0828

A normal gallbladder stores the bile that is made in the liver and, when fats are present, contracts and empties its contents into the small intestine where digestion occurs.

Gallbladder motility or ability to contract to empty may be affected by a number of things. You may have a number of symptoms/conditions that predispose you to improper emptying and gallstone formation. Some of these include: overweight, high triglycerides, high blood sugar, lack of exercise, vitamin c deficiency, magnesium deficiency, omega-3 fatty acid deficiency, poor diet, celiac disease or other sensitivity or allergy.

These are just some of the things that you may be able to control to improve the condition of your gallbladder and its ability to function properly.

Gallstones form most commonly in overweight people with high blood sugar and/or who have a history of skipping meals and "low fat" dieting. An attack is usually the result of one of these stones, however tiny, getting stuck passing through the cystic duct into the bile duct on its way to the small intestine.

http://medicalimages.allrefer.com/large/gallbladde...

Frequent consumption of vegetables and good fats in the absence of dieting/starvation normally keeps the gallbladder stone-free and regularly emptying as it should. It's the fat in the diet that makes the gallbladder empty its stored bile into the small intestine so that proper digestion takes place.

You didn't say, but I'll assume that you already have some gallstones. Chances are your doctor will suggest that you have a laparoscopic cholecystectomy ("lap chole" for short), or gallbladder removal. It's a surgery that is done many times more frequently than it should according to some medical analysts.

Don't believe it when a doctor tells you that you don't really need your gallbladder. While it's possible to live without one, the gallbladder performs an important function in your gastrointestinal tract and many people who have theirs removed find that they are still having old symptoms (often accompanied by new ones like chronic diarrhea). Gallbladder removal may also put you at increased risk for certain cancers.

Consider asking your doc about the drugs that can be prescribed to dissolve stones over a period of time as an alternative to surgery. Unless you're very symptomatic, your doctor should be willing to help you keep your body intact. Fire him if he has a bad attitude about non-surgical methods.

A supplement that is readily available at the healthfood store that keeps bile in liquid form and prevents gallstone formation, is lecithin. As little as 300 mg of lecithin per day can raise levels in the bile and may contribute to dissolving existing stones. Lecithin from eggs may be superior to soy lecithin for this purpose.

A "Keep My Gallbladder" To Do List:

Read, read, read. (I hope my links are helpful)

Get an opinion from a holistic MD.

Consider taking one of the drugs that dissolves gallstones over a period of time rather than gallbladder removal.

Eliminate sugar from your diet including fruit juice, soda and all sweetened products. Sugar contributes to gallstone formation. High blood sugar, as in diabetes, may also predispose you to gallstones.

Being obese increases gallstone formation. Lose weight slowly by increasing the good foods like green leafy vegetables. A diet high in vegetables is known to be preventive and should help in recovery. Consider a low carb diet like South Beach.

Don't skip breakfast or starve yourself. Lowfat dieting and skipping meals contributes to gallstone formation and impaired gallbladder emptying. Your gallbladder relies on fat in the diet to signal it to empty.

Start an exercise program.

Start taking vitamin C and magnesium. Along with lecithin, these nutrients have been shown to prevent and possibly to treat gallstones.

Investigate gallstone flushes using epsom salts, lemon juice, malic acid (from apples) and olive oil.

Research whether you might need to discontinue oral contraceptives or estrogen replacement, as this is known to contribute to gallstone formation in many cases.

Make sure you get enough Vitamin D from sunshine and supplements year round because it helps the body deal with inflammation among other things and gallstone formation interferes with absorption of Vitamin D. Also, getting enough Vitamin D prevents excess PTH. Hyperparathyroidism may be another factor in gallstone formation.

Hope this helps some!

Good luck to you!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): galbladder dosnt empty properly: https://shortly.im/PdGJF
  • Rose

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avnTC

I have a steak, loads of vegetables, and plenty of potatoes for my evening meal. For breakfast I have two weetabix with lots of milk, and a mig of coffee. I also drink a pint of fruit juice per day, and loads of water. Result: I have no problems emptying my bowels (usually 3 or 4 times each morning). When I was younger, and lived with my parents, I had a different diet, and didn't always "go" quite as regularly. So the answer is: change your diet, eat more fibre, more fruit and vegetables, and drink more water. If that doesn't work: speak to your doctor to see if there are any other problems.

• gleiss

Slow Gallbladder

Gallbladder Not Emptying

galbladder dosnt empty properly

Your gallbladder stores bile, which is made by your liver. Bile is used by your digestive system to help break down fats and oils to digest them. Your gallbladder may have some sort of obstruction preventing it from emitting bile into your intestine. This could cause fats to pass through your system undigested

It means it doesn't work properly and they might need to take it out.

Hope you feel better!!

Source(s): Just had a scan recently but mine was okay. They think I might have another disorder in the sphyinter connected to the gallbladder but the info I just gave you is what they said to me before the test in case my ejection rate was low.

I HATE TO TELL YOU THAT BUT IT MAY BE GALL STONE AND YES IT CAN BE MADE IT HARD TO PISS SEE A DR OR YOUR SUGAR CAN BE UP