What were the 3 main causes for the civil war of the USA?

For a class assignment, we're supposed to research the 3 main causes for the American civil war. I need the answers ASAP and Google.com or Ask.com won't give me a straight answer and I really REALLY do not trust wikipedia.org. Please help out?

Favorite Answer

I think that there are four real causes of the Civil War. As much as other historians say that slavery was not the main cause for the Civil War, the war would not have occurred if slavery did not exist. Therefore, slavery is the biggest cause of the Civil War, because all of the other causes of the war are a derivative of slavery. The Southern politicians protected slavery by calling for states rights and state sovereignty. There had been many issues involving state sovereignty, including the Supreme Court case of McCullough v. Maryland, where the state of Maryland attempted to tax a federal bank because it was in the state of Maryland. The ruling for the case was that the federal bank was sovereign and could not be taxed by the state. Another issue involving state sovereignty was the Missouri Compromise, which allowed Missouri into the country as a slave state and Maine as a free state. It also said that slavery could not extend above 36 30', the southern border of Missouri. Years later, with the territories of the Midwest becoming states, there was a call in Congress for popular sovereignty, which would allow the individual states to vote on whether or not slavery would be allowed their state. This move for popular sovereignty would remove the precedent set by the Missouri Compromise. Things to be considered that got the emotions of the Northerners in favor of the war are Bleeding Kansas and the Raid of the Arsenal at Harper's Ferry. Both of these involved actions by John Brown. Bleeding Kansas involved people jumping the state border of Kansas to vote for Kansas to be a slave state, which caused a bloody revolt led by John Brown. The Raid of Harper's Ferry involved John Brown, his sons, and some freed slaves raiding a federal arsenal in Harper's Ferry, [West] Virginia. I say it like that because it is now West Virginia, but during this event it was still Virginia. John Brown and his accomplices were able to seize the arsenal and take a few hostages. This event would last a few days, but John Brown was captured by a military force under then Colonel Robert E. Lee. Brown was tried and found guilty of treason and was executed. On his way to the gallows he held up and kissed a black baby. He would die as a martyr against slavery. These two events would help bring Northern sympathies towards abolishing slavery. This was also aided by the founding of the Republican Party, which had a motion of it radical members for abolition. Abolition was not wanted by the Southerners at all, nor a majority in the North. In the South, abolition could spur an uprising against their former owners, plus their source of labor would no longer be free. In the North, white citizens who worked in factories would then have to compete with the freed slaves. However, with the election of 1860, Abraham Lincoln was elected to be president. The election of him alone was the final straw for South Carolina, who had succeeded from the union in December of 1860. The remainder of the Confederate states would follow them in the spring. So, to put all of this into a brief statement, the four causes of the Civil War are:

1. Slavery and State Sovereignty

2. The Missouri Compromise versus Popular Sovereignty

3. Bleeding Kansas and Harper's Ferry

4. The Election of Abraham Lincoln

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): 3 main civil war usa: https://tr.im/u2rnO

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avgpS

How American of you to assume the only Civil War the world has ever saw was the American Civil War. *sigh*. Next time, please try and at least PRETEND you know there's a world out of the USA and other countries have history too! Shocking, I know.

There is only one main cause and that was the enactment of the "Morrill Tariff Act of 1861. This caused the Confederacy to secede and then Mr. Lincoln invaded the south to preserve the union.

I much input my views that bad governance and persistent violations/abuses of human rights are the potential causes of conflict. next could be marginalization of setting group of people with in the same country by its leaders. for example: the 1979 April 12, rice riot was caused from bad governance and lack of transparency and accountabilities amongst others unmentioned.