Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

Attention Deficit Disorder?

A very dear friend of my (25yrs old) thinks he has ADD the reason for this is that he is in his 3rd yr of college and most of his grades are C's and D's and 1 F. Last year he was working, dealing with family problems, and working... I told him that he was doing too much and that might be the reason for his low grades. Now this year he stop dealing with family problems, and work less hours. But he stills have low grades. He says that he has time to study but he cannot concentrate because many things go through his head.

I told him to make a doctors appointment. I want to help him but i don't know how. I am trying to be supportive yet i don't know how to act. Is there any one of you have or know someone with ADD how do you help them to cope with it????

Update:

Thank you for your answers : p

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Depression or fatigue is more likely than A.D.D....

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

If he does have ADHD he is not alone. What many people don't realize is that it is not just a childhood disorder. Many adults walk around for years not knowing why they are having difficulty until they are finally diagnosed. You're right when you told your friend to go see a doctor. However, the best doctor to see is a psychiatrist because they are the trained in testing and treating ADHD. He would get a better diagnosis and treatment of the condition than through a general practitioner.

If he'd like, he can go online and take an ADHD screening quiz. There are several online, such as the one at http://counsellingresource.com/quizzes/adhd/index.... Remember, this is not a complete diagnostic tool, but it could point him into discovering the possible likelihood that he has the disorder.

The symptoms you described are definitely one of the most prevalent symptoms of ADHD - remember you don't have to be hyperactive to have ADHD. There is also the inattentative type that does not have the hyperactivity component.

Diagnosis, treatment (often via medication) and education are the three main components of getting help. I have a son who is in college and complained of the same type of symptoms. He was struggling with his grades and concentration. He was recently diagnosed, and is now doing much better. He is relieved that there was an answer for problems I didn't know he was struggling with for years.

I am a co-coordinator of a group called CHADD with a chapter in Long Beach, CA. There are several chapters all over the US and in fact throughout the world. CHADD is a non-profit support group for Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. You may get more information about the group by visiting www.chadd.net.

Perhaps your friend would like to visit a free support group meeting in his area to get more information. He can find a local group via the website.

I hope he finds his answers, whatever they are. He is very lucky to have such a caring friend!

Source(s): www.help4adhd.org, www.counsellingresource.com, www.chadd.net
  • 1 decade ago

ADD is a myth, like Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

Tell him to get away from the education system and do something meaningful and gratifying with his life and I assure you the so-called "ADD" will disappear faster than Casper the ghost.

• 1 decade ago

For many decades, Attention Deficit Disorder was considered as a childhood disorder, one that children would eventually outgrow when they became adults. It was thought to be a behavior disorder that could be “cured” with strict parental discipline. However, as the years passed, these kids grew to adulthood and still, their symptoms persisted. Adults were thought of as lazy, lacking in self-discipline, and as having a low intelligence level. Finally, medical science “got it.” Attention Deficit Disorder in adults is very real, and fortunately, very treatable.

Symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults?

This is a “life-span” condition, with a childhood onset and continuing into adulthood. Adults have many of the same symptoms as children, but in a “grown up” environment such as personal relationships and occupational situations. Symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder in adults include poor attention span, easy distractibility, physical restlessness, impulsivity, procrastination, difficulty starting and completing tasks, losing things, poor time management and organization, and excessive forgetfulness.

Attention Deficit Disorder in adults, if undiagnosed and untreated, can cause havoc in personal relationships and in job environments. Adults with this disorder tend to have chaotic romantic and parenting relationships because of their unpredictability and inconsistency. At work, bosses and co-workers become so frustrated with affected adults that they’re often unable to keep a job for long. Others see them as inattentive daydreamers, unintelligent, undependable, and overly-talkative. They always seem to be in “overdrive.” Thus, Attention Deficit Disorder in adults is quite impairing unless it’s correctly diagnosed and treated.

How is Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults Treated?

This condition is treated in two ways: (1) medication and (2) social skills training. Most medications prescribed for this disorder in adults are of the stimulant class of drugs that modify the neurotransmitter chemicals in the brain. However, amphetamine-like drugs like Ritalin, Cylert, and Dexedrine are FDA approved only for treating childhood Attention Deficit Disorder. When a physician prescribes one of these amphetamine-like drugs for an adult, he/she does so “off label,” meaning that the drug’s effect on adults in unknown.

Since these stimulants that help focus and concentration are classified as controlled substances, there is the possibility that an adult will abuse them and become physically addicted to them. However, there is no conclusive evidence that adults with Attention Deficit Disorder who take psychostimulants are more prone to subsequent substance abuse problems.

Strattera, a non-stimulant drug, has been approved by the FDA for treatment of children, adolescents and adults with Attention Deficit Disorder. It has no abuse or addiction potential and isn’t a controlled substance. Strattera’s efficacy is extremely promising, and it has become a first-line treatment in this disorder.

The second component in treating adults with Attention Deficit Disorder is psychotherapy that teaches the patient social skills that he/she was unable to develop as a child or adolescent because of the disorder. Simply put, adults with Attention Deficit Disorder don’t realize that they’re annoying others with their hyperactive and irresponsible behavior.

They talk just fine; too much, in fact and are constantly interrupting others. A routine therapist’s response is “Excuse me for talking while you were interrupting!” These adults must learn to listen, to wait their turn to speak or act, to control their impatient body language, to finish tasks and follow instructions, and to be polite and appropriate when interacting with others.

Thus, when adults with Attention Deficit Disorder are correctly diagnosed and treated, they can enjoy a better quality of life.

Source(s): Comprehensive book on how to combat ADD http://budurl.com/addbook
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would answer this but it was waaaaaaaaaay to long for me to focus and finish. UH what were we talking about?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.