Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaOther - Australia · 1 decade ago

Why is the crime rate in new zealand so much higher than other places?

What are some reasons why there are so many assaults/ homicides in New Zealand? Poverty? or some other reasons?

Favorite Answer

Hey there. I have recently developed an obsession with crime rates in Australia and New Zealand. I'm originally from NZ but now live on the Gold Coast, Australia.

I have been monitoring the Australian and New Zealand news websites everyday now for the past year so I can definitely help you out!

First of all let me just say this. Crime on the news is reported alot differently in New Zealand compared to here in Australia.

For example, the radio stations over there report just about EVERY incident that happens. When I was last over there they reported an armed bank robbery on the radio which occured in Tauranga (like a 6 hour drive away from where I was). The next day they reported a murder that happend in Auckland.

Since New Zealand is a small country they report everything that happens so the whole country keeps informed and they, as a whole, seem to think that NZ is violent because they hear so many bad incidents on the news.

Here in Australia we have news for every state so the crime news is 'spread out' if you like. For example I live in Queensland and I only hear the crime that happens in Queensland, nothing about the murders upon murders that happen in the other states unless there

s like a masscare.

So Australians don't seem, in my opinion, to be as paranoid of crime than New Zealanders do.

Crime happens ALOT more frequently here in Australia. These are some crime news stories that have happend in my area that I only found out about from reading the QLD police website:

1. The other day a women in Surfers Paradise in a soveniour store was beaten unconcious whilst working by a robber and had her teeth dislodged.

2. 2 groups of people were violently attacked in Southport while walking home. They were also robbed at knifepoint.

3. In Coolangatta a man was beaten unconcious and had his ribs broken, eye socket broken and had his teeth dislodged in an unprovoked random attack.

These are just a couple of the violent incidents that have occured in my city over the last couple of days (not to mention all the armed robbers and burglaries!) NONE of these stories were reported anywhere else apart from in the local paper here on the Gold Coast.

If it were in New Zealand it would have been on the national news and everyone would have been like "oooo dear, what is happening to this country?" where as here in Australia people just don't give a damn! haha. And I mean no offence to the victims of crime here in Aus.

Incidents of drive-by shootings, stabbings, murders, car jackings (mainly in the Birsbane area) happen here on a daily basis and in my opinion, the population here are not very well informed of such violent incidents. For example, there have been numerous incidents on the Gold Coast lately of people being forced out of their cars at traffic lights, however I still see people driving around with their car doors unlocked, and in my opinion I don't feel very unsafe at all, infact I feel extremly safe.

Stuff like this does not happen in NZ no where near as often so I feel even safer in NZ! It's just a small country thing I guess. When nz grows larger in population it will probobly be like aus and only report incidents depending on the city in which you live.

Ha ha, I seem to have gone off the track a little but yeah. That's just my view about crime in NZ, it isn't bad at all compared to Australia, England, USA and mainly South Africa!

However, yes, there does see to be crime throughout the whole nation. New Zealand seems to have alot of domestic related violence and gang violence.

There is alot of child abuse in NZ.

I can put these issues down to MANY things:

Many of the violent assults in NZ seem to be alchol or drug related. There are alot more liquir outlets open in NZ then ever before and the drugs available have increased heaps (mainly because of overseas migrants).

So yeah. One of the main reasons for violent crime and homicides in NZ is drugs and alchool.

Another reason for crime (mainly related to youth gang crime) is the lack of teaching of moral values in schools as well as broken families who may have been affected by alchohol and drugs. The kids in these families have no role models so they turn to gang to earn a sense of belonging and go out and commit violent crimes.

Another reason is that the laws in NZ aren't too tough agaisnt criminals. Some people have said the offenders have more rights in court than the victims. Therefore many offenders are realised on bail and go out and reoffend!

That's just another reason why the crime rate is a little high at the moment.

But as some else said, the crime in NZ is NOTHING compared to most other places.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/nz-new-zealand...

And by the way , I didn't read of one new violent incident in today's nz news however there seemed to be heaps in the Aus!

Check out the stories on all the abductions in sydney and stabbings and most the most scary drive bys! Check out the news about heaps of murders in Melbourne due to the criminal underworld!

Scary stuff!

Anyway that's what I have to say.

Thanks very much for the questiona and feel free to email me if you have ANY further questions.

Thanks again,

Doug :)

Source(s): From nz, living in Aus.
  • aagand

New Zealand Crime Rate

• karnow

Crime In New Zealand

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): crime rate zealand higher places: https://biturl.im/J39P5

New Zealand is quite low compared to other countries.

But crime rate is based on population also. Because New Zealand only has a population of about 4.5 million people the crime rate is rated out of 4.5 million.

Some countries have a higher crime rate, because more crime is actually reported, not always due to more crime..

If the local population have no confidence in the Police system they are less likely to report crimes, and therefore have a "reported" lower crime rate.

New Zealand is a very dangerous country, you only need to look at the stats to see,

for the population it's incredibly dangerous.

you will be far more safer in Thailand, or South Korea than NEW ZEALAND and the population is 50 MILLION, not 4.5.

new zealand has many uneducated people, new zealand has many mental people who don't even know they are mental.

new zealand has one of highest pedophile and rapist criminals in the world.

child mansluater and murder rates are VERY HIGH.

the amount of abuse little kids receive from women is shocking.

these mothers can beat and murder their children and only do 4 years in prison.

many sick people like to get as many kids as possible so they can get welfare checks for them.

of course they don't love the kids..they just want to use them for money.

but the new zealand government system and legal system is Broken, so abused kids return to their abusive families. NEW ZEALAND still has a long way to go to protect children, protect women, protect citizens from rapists, murderers, and crime..

youths are free to wander the streets, they want money, how can they get it?

STEAL! bash someone,

also NZ has a mentality of BEING HARD, BEING TUFF,

example I should act tough, and hard, so don't mess with me, this escalates and raises the assaults.

islanders, maori, whites, all commit these crimes,

lack of education! growing up a victim, selfish minds, and stupidity.

and a lax legal system which protects the criminals, so they can reoffend easily.

if you want to be a murderer, or a criminal, you should move to NZ because in your life time

you could rape children, kill people ,, robb people and do almost anything, and if you lived to be 80

you would probably only serve 20 years in jail.. so that means 60 years to run around and destroy peoples lives and full fill your desires!

sick I know.. but thats NZ...

• C.C

I am sure it is not as bad as some other places like America, England and parts of the Afican continent. Why don't you ask the New Zealand section, they might be able to help you. Yahoo has put your answer in the Aussie section. Categorise your questions manually to avoid this.

Cheers

New Zealand rates 52nd on the list.

They don't seem to be leading the world in murder.

Crime Statistics > Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

#1 Colombia: 0.617847 per 1,000 people

#2 South Africa: 0.496008 per 1,000 people

#3 Jamaica: 0.324196 per 1,000 people

#4 Venezuela: 0.316138 per 1,000 people

#5 Russia: 0.201534 per 1,000 people

#6 Mexico: 0.130213 per 1,000 people

#7 Estonia: 0.107277 per 1,000 people

#8 Latvia: 0.10393 per 1,000 people

#9 Lithuania: 0.102863 per 1,000 people

#10 Belarus: 0.0983495 per 1,000 people

#24 United States: 0.042802 per 1,000 people

#43 Australia: 0.0150324 per 1,000 people

#44 Canada: 0.0149063 per 1,000 people

#46 United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

#52 New Zealand: 0.0111524 per 1,000 people

SOURCE: Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

I DO NOT KNOW.

I WAS THINKING OF MOVING THERE IF WE HAVE WW3. NOW I AM NOT SO SURE. MAYBE AUSTRALIA