Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

what healthy things should i shop for?

next time i go to the grocery store, what should i buy to keep myself healthy and to lose weigth at the same time, i need specifics, like things i can make for dinner that are healthy, and little snacks, and breakfast

• Spellz
    Favorite Answer

As a general rule, your healthiest foods are the ones around the outside of the store. The center of the store is mostly processed foods, foods that aren't as healthy.

There's a really neat book called "Eat This, Not That!" that I use to do my grocery shopping for all of the "middle of the store" foods. Mostly I buy produce, skim milk, eggs, plain yogurt, Campbell's Select soups, canned veggies, frozen fruits and veggies.

Check out that book. It'll give you some good ideas. A good rule of thumb is that the less processed it is, the healthier it is. If it grows or was alive, it's good for you.

get the basics,then mix and match.

get whole grains:whole grain bread,brown rice,whole wheat pasta,cereals

get lean meats:turkey,chicken,beef,tuna in water or if you are vegetarian,get beans :D

get vegetables:vary the colours,lettuce,carrots,tomatoes,cabbage,broccoli

get fruits:fresh,canned or dried,they are all good!

and some basics:chili sauce,low-fat mayo,peanut butter(i prefer nutella),skimmed/low-fat milk.

then,mix and match for the meal you plan to eat :D