What are Your Top 3-5 ANTHONY HOPKINS Performances ?

.

If you cannot think of 3 - Any answer is Fine :)

The reason I ask for a Max of 5 -- is That for a True Admirerer of Anthony Hopkins --

Picking His Top 5 is Difficult !!

These are My Favorites - Chronologically --

If your Fave is Not on The List -- PLEASE Feel Free to Add.

I'm not Perfect -- But THESE Performances.... ARE :) --

"Richard I" -- The Lion in Winter (1968)

"Dr. Adam Kelno" -- QB VII (1974) TV mini-series

"Lt. Col. John D. Frost" -- A Bridge Too Far (1977)

"Corky Withers" -- Magic (1978)

"Frederick Treves" -- The Elephant Man (1980)

"Othello" -- Othello (1981) (TV)

"Quasimodo" -- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1982)

"Lieutenant William Bligh" -- The Bounty (1984)

"Dr. Hannibal Lecter" -- ( please, do NOT list more than once )

"Henry J. Wilcox" -- Howards End (1992)

"Van Helsing" -- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

"James Stevens" -- The Remains of the Day (1993)

"C.S.Lewis" -- Shadowlands (1993)

"Dr. John Harvey Kellogg" -- The Road to Wellville (1994)

"Col. William Ludlow" -- Legends of the Fall (1994)

"Richard Nixon" -- Nixon (1995)

"Pablo Picasso" -- Surviving Picasso (1996)

"Charles Morse" -- The Edge (1997)

"John Quincy Adams" -- Amistad (1997)

"Titus Andronicus" -- Titus (1999)

"Robert" -- Proof (2005)

BQ -- What Do You Think is His Most Underrated Performance ??

.

.

Thank you all for reminding me of --

Audrey Rose, Meet Joe Black, & Alexander !! :)

.

Favorite Answer

I became an Anthony Hopkins fan via "QB VII", the first TV miniseries. He is absolutely magnetic in this, as we have to believe that Adam Kelno is a good, decent person who could never have done what he's accused of in the novel.

I don't see this remarkable performance mentioned: "Audrey Rose", in which he plays the grieving father who identifies a little girl as his reincarnated daughter. He and Marsha Mason are fantastic! Susan Swift turns in a great performance as Ivy, including a scene in which she goes through hypnotic regression. But, Anthony Hopkins is outstanding in a relatively low-key role.

Another low-key but marvelous performance can be seen in "84 Charing Cross Road":

"When a New York scriptwriter/reader (Anne Bancroft) sees an ad in the "Saturday Review of Literature" for a bookstore in London that does mail order, she begins a very special correspondence and friendship with Frank Doel (Anthony Hopkins), the bookseller who works at Marks & Co., 84 Charing Cross Road."

Yes, it's that simple a story, but I admit to being brought to tears each time I watch this film. (I don't often cry over movies, especially not the ones others claim to find "tearjerkers".)

I recently watched "The Edge" again and thought how odd it is to see Sir Anthony as a rather sexy action hero! He truly brings such strength and intelligence to that role that I vote him Man With Whom I'd Most Like to Be Stranded in the Wilderness! He proved to be an action hero again in "The Mask of Zorro".

I also watched "The Lion in Winter" for the nth time awhile back, so his performance as one of the feuding sons is fresh in my mind. However, he definitely is overshadowed by Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn. Otherwise, he ties with Timothy Dalton as my third-favorite in the movie, which I could watch end-to-end without hesitation.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't impressed with "The Silence of the Lambs" perhaps because I recall Brian Cox as Hannibal Lecter in "Manhunter" and mainly because I was so familiar with the other faces of Anthony Hopkins that I didn't find him at all frightening in the role. To be honest, I can't understand the craziness over this film because he's been much better in other roles. Maybe if I hadn't known the actor so well...

Shame on me: I went past five! But~but... This is Anthony Hopkins! What about "The Looking Glass War?" and... Sorry. I simply must stop!

Richard I - Lion in Winter

Van Helsing - Bram Stoker's Dracula

Richard Nixon - Nixon

BA: Nixon, by far

Titus Andronicus

Van Helsing

Don Deigo De Vega - Mask of Zorro

Hannibal Lecter

Van Helsing

Col. William Lulow

:)

great actor

Can't pick a fave between these two- love silence of the lambs and meet joe black, I cry everytime at meet Joe Black. Amazing film.

My other 3 favourites are Robert, CS Lewis and Ted Crawford.

Amazingly talented actor!!

" Hello Clarice" lol

Alexander

Hannibal

I can only say that these are the only 2 movies of his I've seen and there both great, i think Hannibal is his greatest performance.