Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

What diseases or Herbal supplements cause a person to have no saliva?

I have had no saliva x 2 weeks. I also have a large canker sore on my tongue due to this and a lump on the left side of my neck. I saw an ENT and he said that the lump was lymphadema from the canker sore but has no idea about the fact that I have no saliva.

My only change has been taking some herbal supplements due to cutting out wheat, soy, and dairy from my diet.

The supplements were: Adreset (for adrenal support) St. John's Wort, Multi vitamin, Fish Oils, A pro-biotic and a drink supplement called Ultra Inflamx (supposed to provide nutritional support and decrease inflammation in the bowel).

I have stopped supplements x 1 week and there has been no resolution of my saliva.

I have had all kinds of lab work done lupus, sjogrens disease, etc and everything is normal.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have been consuming alot of rice products: rice syrup, rice protein, rice bran....???

I am puzzled and so are physicians. If anyone has experience with this, please help. I have been without sleep for awhile now due to constantly waking up to drink water for a dry mouth.

hmm did i put this in the right category?

Favorite Answer

Dry Mouth (medically known as xerostomia) occurs as a result of a lack of saliva produced in the mouth

its possible u have a ion imbalance or could it be blocked salivary glands?

If u do not have enough salts (ions) in your body it doesn't matter how much water you may drink u will just pee it out and become furthur dehydrated.

Rice has a far higher sugar content than one may expect and diabetics are advised to be careful with thier consumption. Diabetes can cause chronic dehydration. Have u been tested for diabetes or abnormal sugar levels?

Adreset (for adrenal support) i have never heard of but disorders of the adrenal glands could possibly create no saliva for example adrenaline can make your mouth go v dry.

Addisons can cause extreme dehydration and a salts imbalance.

The symptoms of adrenal insufficiency usually begin gradually. Characteristics of the disease are

chronic, worsening fatigue

muscle weakness

loss of appetite

weight loss

About 50 percent of the time, one will notice

nausea

vomiting

diarrhea

Other symptoms include

low blood pressure that falls further when standing, causing dizziness or fainting

skin changes in Addison's disease, with areas of hyperpigmentation, or dark tanning, covering exposed and nonexposed parts of the body; this darkening of the skin is most visible on scars; skin folds; pressure points such as the elbows, knees, knuckles, and toes; lips; and mucous membranes

Addison's disease can cause irritability and depression. Because of salt loss, a craving for salty foods also is common. Hypoglycemia, or low blood glucose, is more severe in children than in adults. In women, menstrual periods may become irregular or stop.

Because the symptoms progress slowly, they are usually ignored until a stressful event like an illness or an accident causes them to become worse. This is called an addisonian crisis, or acute adrenal insufficiency

Symptoms of an addisonian crisis include

sudden penetrating pain in the lower back, abdomen, or legs

severe vomiting and diarrhea

dehydration

low blood pressure

loss of consciousness

these tests can rule it out..

ACTH Stimulation Test

CRH Stimulation Test

Tb, candida infections can also cause severe dehydration and inflammation of the tounge.

Other causes of insufficient saliva include anxiety, medications, or the consumption of alcoholic beverages, physical trauma to the salivary glands or their ducts or nerves, dehydration caused by lack of sufficient fluids, excessive breathing through the mouth, previous radiation therapy, and also a natural result of aging, other conditions or factors not mentioned also can have the ability to cause dry mouth. The vast majority of elderly individuals will suffer xerostomia to some degree. Playing or exercising a long time outside on a hot day can cause the salivary glands to become dry as the bodily fluids are concentrated elsewhere. Xerostomia is a common side-effect of various drugs, such as Cannabis (Cotton Mouth), and can also occur with other drugs and herbs that are smoked because smoke can dry out the mouth, amphetamines, antihistamines, some antidepressants

I hope that your drs get to the bottom of this problem soon . Goodluck.

You'll be fine, so long as you're not taking any pharmaceutical anti-depressants with L-Tryptophan. Also, it can help to cycle off Taurine from time to time. Give yourself a 30 day break from it now and then. You may also want to look into L-theanine, GABA, and 5-HTP.