Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to find information on leukemia?

My 7 year old cousin may have leukemia. I know there are a lot of different types and I'm sure a lot of web sites. If you know of any please let me know! Also if you have any hands on experience with the disease that would be helpful as well. My grandmother died of it this past April.

Favorite Answer

The best way to find information for leukemia is by doing a google search. Here is a specific page on the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society website which explains leukemia and the various types:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=...

My niece was diagnosed with high risk pre b A.L.L. (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) at the age of 2. She has the 'good type' of leukemia if there is such a thing. Her treatment plan consisted of 2 1/2 to 3 years of chemo,steroids and an option for radiation to the brain. The treatment plans vary greatly depending on the type and subtype of leukemia, the risk factor and individual patient circumstances. It was really rough for her the first 1 1/2 years of treatment but she is doing really well now. She was admitted to the hospital for various complications including infections, pneumonia and kidney stones. She is on 'maintenance chemo' now which is much easier on her body and she is doing great and hasn't been admitted to the hospital for a number of months. Pretty soon she will be done with chemo :-)

• Noccie

just do a google search. it would be helpful if you knew the exact type of leukemia.

don't ask questions on yahoo answers... Go to the doctor and see what he says. The internet is not to be trusted sometimes. Wikipedia is just what people think for example, it is not a list of facts, it is opinion also, this is where you can go wrong. I know some one who had this weird grown on his knee and the internet told him that it was probably cancer, but it was just some weird growth.. he went to the doctors and got it cut off.

go to the doctor and get proffesional advice.

note: don't trust what I say either.

• There are many sources, I think this portal and its links are a great place to start:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/

you can go on yahoo.com web site and find your information