If I load XP onto my Gateway MA7 laptop, will it still work?

Favorite Answer

Yes it will work but you will find it slow. Now vista has had its free service pack.

Yes, there are XP drivers for the MA7, but installing XP won't be straight forward to begin with as the SATA drivers for the hard disk are not pre-loaded on the XP installation disk.

The easiest way around this is to create a custom XP installation cd that contains the relevent drivers (which you should download from the Gateway website) using a program called nLite: http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

If you need any help, feel free to email me or ask/add further questions here. (Email will be a quicker response as I'm meant to be working, not surfing, LOL!)

Source(s): >10 years as a software engineer and also fix locals' PCs in my spare time.

If you have Vista on it now the chances are slim. Most of the drivers for Vista are different that the ones used on XP.