Adopting a shelter dog... how does their age effect training?

i have had several dogs growing up (lhasa apsos and a mastiff, as well as other family and friends' dogs) and trained them very well socially and in obedience. but i had these dogs from the time they were like 8weeks old and got them from good breeders. most dogs i see in the shelters are 10 months to 2 years... show more i have had several dogs growing up (lhasa apsos and a mastiff, as well as other family and friends' dogs) and trained them very well socially and in obedience. but i had these dogs from the time they were like 8weeks old and got them from good breeders.

most dogs i see in the shelters are 10 months to 2 years old. how well can a young adult shelter dog be trained in terms of attention, obedience, social skills, etc? can ALL their bad habits be worked out with good, consistant training?

i would love to adopt a pit bull/am staff, a rottweiler, german shepard, or any other strong breed, but i just dont know what to expect in terms of their behavior. i need a very good family dog. i am willing and able to put in the time and effort with a dog, i need to know if a young adult shelter dog can live up to my expectations... or is it better to go with a very young shelter dog or even from a good breeder.

thank you all so much for your time!
11 answers 11