Fellow Christians. What does this scripture mean .......?

to each of you? IJohn 3:6 "Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him." And verse 9: "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." There's more inbetween but I wanted to... show more to each of you?

IJohn 3:6

"Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him."

And verse 9:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

There's more inbetween but I wanted to focus on these 2 verses. The question is, we all sin even after we are saved. So how can John say that if we sin we have never seen or known God?

And if he is referring to "practicing sin" as opposed to unintentional sins such as "oops a swear slipped out of my mouth", then what about people like my friend? I have a very dear Christian friend. She is an outstanding Christian but she has one flaw. She smokes cigarettes. That is a willful practiced sin in her life. But I can't say that she doesn't know Christ or God. I can see that she does.

Can anyone clear up my confusion? Maybe I just think too much. My husband tells me that all the time. lol
Update: Thanks everyone for all the great answers. It's gonna be very hard to choose the best one. You have all added a bit of wisdom and insight to my confusion by your answers. And what spoke to my heart the most is that you are all in agreement. Did anyone notice there was not one nasty or mocking answer? I... show more Thanks everyone for all the great answers. It's gonna be very hard to choose the best one. You have all added a bit of wisdom and insight to my confusion by your answers. And what spoke to my heart the most is that you are all in agreement.

Did anyone notice there was not one nasty or mocking answer? I think that's a first. lol