Does paying off your credit card balance in full every month still build credit?

I am an 18 year old first year college student and I have a student visa through my bank. I have a 700 dollar limit and I think a 17% interest rate. Every month I charge like 40 or 50 dollars on it (food, gas, whatever) never any more. I leave it alone until I receive my bill in the mail, and then I go online... show more I am an 18 year old first year college student and I have a student visa through my bank. I have a 700 dollar limit and I think a 17% interest rate.

Every month I charge like 40 or 50 dollars on it (food, gas, whatever) never any more. I leave it alone until I receive my bill in the mail, and then I go online and pay it off in full each month.

My question is, does this still build good credit? My dad said something about leaving a balance on a credit card, and how that builds more credit or something, but I wasn't sure if that was right.