Will Hydrashock 10mm bullets pierce body armor?

A fellow got arrested in NJ for drugs and he has been charged with having body armor piercing bullets. Are Hydrashock bullets designed to do that?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

NO...they are not pointed and are soft to rip flesh....normal newspaper/media hysteria

Source(s): life NRA member
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No they are over the counter run of the mill Hollow points. Walmart sells hydrashocks in 9mm and 45 caliber. The 10 may be a different story, but it is not the design of the bullet to be a body armor piercing round. Neither are black talons, which are now sold by Winchester under a new name. I can't remember the name, but I have some of the old ones with the black bullet and silver case and some of the new ones with the black bullet and brass case. They changed the name because Black Talon sounded to bad.

As far as the drugs he still did something wrong and should not have had drugs or a gun. Once someone has broken the law they try to ring em up for everything they can to put him in jail for longer or so the attorneys and the DA will bargain/plea deal with each other.

• 1 decade ago

Actually, given similar powder loadings, they'll penetrate less than a "practice" full metal jacket projectile. When a good hollowpoint bullet hits something of substance, it tends to expand broadening the area that pressure is delivered. This plays perfectly into what standard body armor wants i.e. to spread the bullet's force over a large area. It's the difference between hitting a balloon with a needle and a pool ball in coarse terms.

The bullet's expansion actually helps the vest instead of hinder it. A non-expanding FMJ round would tend to penetrate more because it concentrates the force more.

As has been pointed out, conventional "armor penetration" rounds are steel case/steel core. These style of rounds are illegal for sale in handgun loadings, but they are legal for rifle ammo. They're most commonly seen in military and mil-surplus rounds.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no 10mm "AP" rounds that would be available even on a gray market. The 10mm is not an adopted military round so there would be precious little market for it even if someone were to make it. On the other hand, HK has a 10mm SMG that is being picked up, so someone may have such a round available to a military customer.

Even in idealistic terms, however, a handgun is going to have real issues penetrating good body armor even with a steel case and steel core bullet. The FN 5N7 is a notable exception, but the penetrating ammo for it isn't available to the general public and many law enforcement agencies have been extrememly reluctant to issue such weapons and ammo in fear that it will find its way over to the other side of the law.

Can you link the story so we can investigate it, pls?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hollow points are actually designed so they dont penetrate to deep. They do not and can not penetrate body armor. However NJ passed a law saying that ALL hollow point ammo is armor piercing and possession of such is a crime now. Does not mean they can puncture just means the law says that a hollow point in NJ is considered an armor piercing round.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i have 45 acp ammo that is made by a company called federal premium they are called hydra shock they look like a hollow point with a spear in the center but i seriously doubt they would pierce body armor or a bullet proof vest

• 1 decade ago

In Nj...

http://www.nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

they have some restrictive uses for Hollowpoints. I do not believe that they are classified as armor piercing.

• 1 decade ago

No, armor piercing bullets have steel cores and/or jackets and are illegal for over the counter sales.

• 1 decade ago

No, but that never stop the politics of the anti-gunners before.

• 1 decade ago

No, he must of had some other type of ammo.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.