What is the responsibility of society in helping those considered vulnerable, such as the homeless population ?

What is the responsibility of society in helping those considered vulnerable, such as the homeless population? Is it a responsibility, a duty, and should we do it for the sake of helping. Or, is there another reason some choose to help? Why do some choose NOT to help?

Favorite Answer

Some people feel giving assistance to the homeless or the down and out help encourage dependencies. If there are no handouts, these people will have to get jobs and provide for themselves. Of course, some of them can't due to mental illness, etc. I suppose that is why we pay taxes and donate to churches - so someone is helping the homeless. I am not a big fan of helping the vulnerable though I donate to the Salvation Army and the United Way. I think a lot of people in our society are slackers because there is too much help available. Every year, regardless of the economy, there is always a "bigger need that last year" for the food banks and toy-give-away programs. To me, that indicates that some people are just taking advantage of the programs. It used to be that people had too much pride to take handouts, that is not the case anymore.

It's primarily the duty and function of the state but NGOS do help out with their know how.