promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

do the united states have militas?

actual militas, like normal people with limited training and aren't drilled regally, people who sit in there house and listen for a siren to go off so they can group and prepare for attack?... kinda like old russia but voluntary?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Yes we do:

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311Prev | Next § 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

The part about title 32 puts Vets in till they are 64.

You can call me Sargent.

SSG US Army 73-82

Edit: This is the only legal one!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Absolutely...

www.awrm.org is one example.... there are many.

They don't agree on everything. But all of the militias worth anything are dedicated to preserving the Constitution, and defending their homes... similar to the militias that fought at Lexington and Concord.

Some are big into conspiracies... some aren't. I personally don't believe in very many of the conspiracies, really very few... some do, and it is their right to believe that, if they choose.

I don't know about sirens.... but they train, have decent equipment, and work together.

And it isn't all "battle" either.... militias get together after natural disasters and such to help the community. A group of able-bodied men that are well organized can do a lot for a community after a disaster.

Militias are not dead.... and they are not a fringe group. Many Americans already participate in "militia-style" activities.... most church volunteer groups are a militia of sorts.

Of course, most choose to include weapons (militias, not church groups)... it never hurts to be prepared. If you have food and supplies to help yourself and others, you must protect them from looters and such.

The militia is still with us... it will always be, in one form or another.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, most states call their militia the National Guard. If you mean a bunch of people with guns who get together and call themselves a militia, I don't think it would be such a great idea, as Homeland Security would be all up their *** making sure nothing fishy was going on.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, we have a state militia in Texas and there are privately formed militias also.

Edit: Just like those redneck conspiracy nuts that wrote our Constitution!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ilse
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes, there are several militias as mandated by the Constitution.

• 1 decade ago

I guess you could say the national guard is our militas

• 1 decade ago

actually yes, some states in the US do have militias, such as Idaho.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are people who form their own militias, but they're mostly rednecks and conspiracy nuts with no training and a love for action movies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.