What is in Tap water?

What is exactly in tap water? Is there Chlorine? I also heard there is some fluorides in tap water to help inprove our teeth is any of this true??

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Tap water is what comes out of the faucet. It can have fluoride in it if the water supply naturally contains fluoride or it is intentionally added. Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay and is very potent in small concentrations. The water is chlorinated at the distribution site if there is a risk of contamination such as lake water. If you have a private well it will not be fluoridated (unless natural) or chlorinated.

Tap water also contain many other minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, and others) depending on the source and your geographic part of the country.

PhD Food Chemistry and Nutrition

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Almost everywhere has Chlorine in the water. In some places fluorides have been removed from the water because of health problems in children. If you are really concerned about what is in your water go to a local department store and get a water pitcher with a filter in it or one that screws on to your facet. ex. Brita or PUR. These will also remove and rust, iron, or other elements from your water.

• Likwit
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Tap water in the U.S./Canada contains fluorides to help strengthen your teeth as you pointed it, but it may also contains chlorine, iron, nitrates, magnesium and other metal ions. Most water sources are reported to be safe to drink, but people should be advised by their own city or town.

• 1 decade ago

Chlorine, fluoride and many other metals and contaminants. If you don't beleve me, go to a store that sells pools and hot tubs. Look for a test kit that tests for chlorine and other contaminants and you'll be disgusted by the results!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it is mostly water, very very little Chlorine. i do not thin it has fluoride any more, it will vary city to city.

• Robbie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Water, chlorine (a sanitizer), and floride

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

every city is different, call the water department for your city.

• 1 decade ago

yup

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.