How awesome is this news? A 3 Year old saved by Puppies. Read on->?

Puppies save three-year-old boy lost in freezing Virginia woods

BY JANE H. FURSE

DAILY NEWS WRITER

Monday, December 8th 2008, 9:35 AM

A toddler lost in the Virginia woods was back home safe Sunday thanks to two puppies who kept him warm through a harrowing night of freezing temperatures.

Jaylynn Thorpe, 3, wandered away from his baby-sitter at 4 p.m. Friday and was missing for 21 hours as hundreds of friends, family and law enforcement officials searched for him in the thick woods of Halifax County, fearing the worst.

"The only thing we wanted to do was just keep searching until we found him," Halifax County Sheriff Stanley Noblin told reporters.

Jaylynn's frantic family knew time was not on its side.

"We didn't forget the issue that 17 degrees was almost unbearable," said his father, James Thorpe.

"People all over the State of Virginia was down there looking for that child. For a while there, one time, I didn't know whether they would find him or not," said the child's grandmother and guardian, Katherine Elliot.

Officials said the lost little boy and the two family puppies wandered up to a mile in the dark, even across a highway, but it wasn't until Saturday afternoon that members of the search team found him sitting by a tree, the two puppies nestled against him.

The little boy didn't say anything, according to rescue team member Jerry Gentry, but instead "just opened his arms up like, 'I'm ready to go.'"

"When I first saw him, he was like, 'Momma, I got cold. I slept in the woods last night. The puppies kept me warm.' He told me that ... the dogs slept up against him. And I'm sure the body heat kept him warm," said his mother, Sarah Ingram.

Billie Jo Roach, another member of the search party that found the boy, said the puppies refused to leave his side.

As the child was placed in an ambulance to be taken to a local hospital for examination, "The puppies were watching where he went.

"Where he went, they went," Roach said.

As word went out that the child was alive and well, family members cheered and cried for joy.

"Praise the Lord! Welcome home, Jaylynn!" yelled his aunt, Amy Zimmerman.

Close to 300 people from North Carolina and Virginia joined in the search to find Jaylynn.

"I love you! God bless you," Ingram told the rescue teams.

"I think I just said, 'Thank you Lord' ... for us to have another chance!" said the child's father.

The boy spent Saturday night under observation at Halifax Regional Hospital and chowed down on a double cheeseburger, a hot dog, strawberry ice cream and French fries.

Meanwhile, the furry heroes, their tails wagging, were rewarded with food.

"I definitely call this a miracle," said Noblin

Favorite Answer

I do know that miracles do happen, and this is a perfect example. God was watching over her. The puppies were for her protection.

Source(s): God Bless You!
  • Wow, this is truly remarkable. The puppies deserve all kinds of puppy rewards and treats, isn't this a great way to remind people to always be kind to animals, these little fellows saved a child's life. It would have been very unlikely that this story would have had such a happy outcome without the puppies.

Thank you for the happy, heart-warming story!

And I'm happy you're back Scooter!

I couldn't help but think that God sends Guardian Angels in the Smallest of Packages. It just awes me to think that those puppies were right there, and saved that child, so I know that there was a higher power there ^_^

If it was me, I'd give each puppy a T-bone, a very comfy doggie bed and a place in my home LoL

I'm so happy the little boy is safe, and it is lovely how the puppies kept him warm. However, how does a 3 year old wander away? Wasn't the babysitter watching him?

Dogs are amazing, loyal and loving creatures. I have a rottie and when my mother in law was dying, she would go in the room and lay by her bed. After her death she would lie right outside the door as tho she was in mourning. When I see or hear of animal abuse it sickens me.

I can't even allow myself to think of what the outcome would have been if those puppies weren't there. Absolutely amazing.

Though I'm not really into owning dogs as I prefer cats, if those pups did not have a home, I would have had to adopt them!

This is the kind of stories that should be told far more often!

• That's amazing and that is the kind of story that makes me remember that their are happy endings. That is an awesome story. I'm so happy that he is safe. Goes to show what man and woman's best friend is capable of. I am so incredibly happy to hear that little boy is safe someone was watching over him. Those puppies are truly little miracles also. Such a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing Scooter. This made my morning. :]

Well that's why dog is man's best friend it's a shame we don't do likewise for the dogs (Michael Vick case in point)

PS babysitters out there you can not take your eyes off a toddler

• Toots

Miracles do still happen...and anyone who doubts this, I hope and pray that something like this doesn't happen to someone YOU love..

Animals are so often little Angels God sent to watch over us...some people think Angels have wings...more often than not, they have wagging tails...

Source(s): North Carolinian

Animals could teach us a thing or two about selflessless and loyalty! I was glad reading on, that he didn't end up having to eat the pups to survive. That'd be a downer.