what if the tower of babel had been allowed to be finished and it did reach heaven?

Genesis 11:5 "And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children built. 6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech."

------------

ALSO, why does The Lord keep saying "WE" and "let US go down..."

who is he talking to?

(does this reflect that the pre-hebrew babylonians had MANY gods besides YHWH?)

(according to the sumerians, pre-babylonian, EL was the father of all the other gods, including YHWH...where did all these gods come from, anyway?)

Update:

IT SOUNDS LIKE its saying there was a bunch of gods in the clouds, and they got a little nervous as the tower got taller and taller?

Update 2:

monkeyhead: i believe the sumerians had many minor gods also, and i'm sure i saw YHWH listed among them (??)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What would have happened if Jack DIDN'T make it all the way up the beanstalk? (Twilight Zone music)

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Funny. You should open at a night club.

IMHO, heaven in this instance is not refering to the after-life, but to the sky. The entire world has just suffered a massive flood. The children of Noah wanted to stay together, but they also wanted a tower where they could flee to safety in case there was another flood. The Lord didn't want them to build a tower for safety, or to congregate in one area - he wanted them to spread throughout the world. Some of those tribes went to Peru, and others went to North America. The Book of Mormon chronicles the journey of the people of Jared to America, while some of the early Spanish chroniclers wrote down the legends and history of the Inca, which indicated that they came from the tower of Babel, after the great flood. The ships that brought the Jaredites were fashioned after Noah's ark, and were lit in the same fashion, according to our existing records; the Jewish Kabbalah and the Book of Mormon. The Jaredites built pyramids after the fashion of the tower of Babel, and for the same reasons - as a safety from flooding. Mesoamerica is filled with hundreds of pyramids - much more than were ever built in Egypt.

• 1 decade ago

The tower of Babel was in Mesopotamia, the people were Sumerians.

This is easy to follow.............

Guess what? The Sumerians were Polytheist and didn't even believe in Yahweh.

Simple plagiarism by the bible.

Edit: No, they believed in 'An' which means Sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_(mythology)

No demi god called YHWH, you have probably been looking at poorly hashed up sites where people are attempting to connect the bible to the Sumerians and rename any God or story, quite falsely and unashamedly I might mention, to falsify there own stories in the bible. One can make any connection between a head god and demi gods or angels in any culture, that however does not mean they are one and the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesopotamian_mytholog...

• 3 years ago

I easily have consistently puzzled that my self. i think of the tower of babel became attempting to realize the heaven, yet finally grew to alter into structurally volatile fell and knocked all of us into speaking distinctive languages. i think of that became God's way of staying that no ethical eye can gaze upon me.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Keep in mind that what God (Yahweh or Jehovah) was doing was indeed more powerful than any of the false gods perpetrated by humans were able to do to stop the confusion or confounding the languages

(Proverbs 18:11) 11 The valuable things of the rich are his strong town, and they are like a protective wall in his IMAGINATION(my caps) . ".

(Psalm 96:4-6)  4 For Jehovah is great and very much to be praised. He is fear-inspiring above all [other] gods.  5 For all the gods of the peoples are valueless gods; But as for Jehovah, he has made the very heavens.  6 Dignity and splendor are before him; . . ."

Please keep in mind that it was only Yahweh that had a track record as to intervention, the god's of Egypt and Pharoahs army were not able to stop the Exodus of Jews!

--Rahab a Moabite worshpper recognized that Jehovah God was the almighty , note her expressions of the man made god's and the true God:

(Joshua 2:8-12) . . .As for these, before they could lie down, she herself came up to them on the roof. 9 And she went on to say to the men: “I do know that Jehovah will certainly give YOU the land, and that the fright of YOU has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land have become disheartened because of YOU.

10 For we have heard how Jehovah dried up the waters of the Red Sea from before YOU when YOU came out of Egypt, and what YOU did to the two kings of the Am′or‧ites who were on the other side of the Jordan, namely, Si′hon and Og, whom YOU devoted to destruction. 11 When we got to hear it, then our hearts began to melt, and no spirit has arisen yet in anybody because of YOU, for Jehovah YOUR God is God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath. ". .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

tower of babel is a fake story, the real stuff doesnt come until abraham

• 1 decade ago

Actually, I think it was more of an issue with architectural stability than with any gods.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.