What if the tower of babel had been allowed to be finished and it did reach heaven?

Genesis 11:5 "And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children built. 6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7 Go to, let us go down, and there... show more Genesis 11:5 "And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children built. 6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech."
------------
ALSO, why does The Lord keep saying "WE" and "let US go down..."
who is he talking to?

(does this reflect that the pre-hebrew babylonians had MANY gods besides YHWH?)

(according to the sumerians, pre-babylonian, EL was the father of all the other gods, including YHWH...where did all these gods come from, anyway?)
Update: IT SOUNDS LIKE its saying there was a bunch of gods in the clouds, and they got a little nervous as the tower got taller and taller?
Update 2: monkeyhead: i believe the sumerians had many minor gods also, and i'm sure i saw YHWH listed among them (??)
7 answers 7