Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 decade ago

Racism in adoption: supply and demand?

Why do you think that an agency would advertise:

Caucasian, Latino, Asian and East Indian babies for $18,000 (prices guaranteed through Dec 31, 2007.)

Caucasian, Latino, Asian and East Indian babies for $20,000 (prices guaranteed through June 30, 2009.)

African American babies for $12,000 (prices guaranteed through June 30, 2008)

African American babies for $12,000 (prices guaranteed through June 30, 2009)

These are the placement fees listed by an agency. They have all other fees listed separately. The only other major difference I saw in fees was the Program fee which was 5K for both years for the Caucasian, etc. and which went from 2K to 3K for the African American fee.

What do you think about an African American child having less value than a “lighter skinned baby” and how do you feel about participating in this industry knowing that there is such obvious racism involved?

Favorite Answer

Hi Jessica,

There is no reason on Earth why the actual costs to process the legal paperwork should cost more for one race of children than for another. It's obvious that some prices go way above & beyond actual costs and this reveals the ugly, greedy truth. Some children are in higher demand and can command higher price tags which translate into higher profit margins for those who work as legal child brokers. And it's obvious they are not above milking that to the highest potential the market will absorb.

Your example is by no means an isolated case of advertising children for sale either. (see my sources for another example of price discrepancies from various private agencies) Sadly, there are 100's, if not 1000's of sites online just like these which conclude your same point.

It sends a very clear message as to exactly who are considered the more highly-coveted children. As for how a child would feel in the opposite groups, I believe it could unnecessarily chip away at their self-esteem to realize they were the basement bargain and for reasons that have nothing to do with their actual value as a person & everything to do with the way society shallowly judges people based upon their skin color. Even the children in the highest inflated price groups could be offended that someone exploited both them & their first families by profitting off of their situation. You ask how we feel about those who participate in this industry. I am totally disgusted by it.

A related note while we're on the subject - if this is not trafficking in the human industry, then I don't know what is. The last time I checked, buying & selling any human being in the U.S. was outlawed in the 1860's with the abolition of slavery. Apparently it's acceptable to overlook that when you call it "adoption." It's not fair to children. All people should be equally valued, protected, & respected, not reduced to items on a human menu.

The UK & Australia, among other places, have already recognized the ethical problems associated with selling children through private agencies and have eliminated them altogether. Adoption works as a true social service there with nobody profitting any amount from the sale of children. Totally removing the profit aspects from the U.S. adoption industry is necessary in order to restore it to a social service for children instead of the huge, unregulated business oppportunity for adults which it currently is.

You're right - it IS based upon supply & demand. And it IS racism. Thanks for bringing up a question on this absolutely disgraceful practice. I wish more people would question it & refuse to participate in it.

julie j

reunited adoptee

Yes I find this extremely sad. This prices are ridiculous no one should have to pay that much money to give a baby in need a home and parents regardless of the child’s race. The even sadder part is all races come in various shades there are some dark east Indians and even Asians depending on what part of the world they are from. There are some light skinned AA.

If I adopted an infant from an agency I would not adopt from an agency that has the fee different by the race of the baby. Of course I wouldn’t adopt from agency if I ended up with an adopted infant the baby will be from the FCS like was the case with myself.

edit - The link Julie posted has baby ½ Korean ½ AA for a fee of 32 grand. Then they have a full Caucasian baby for 27 grand. Mulatto baby for 25,700 grand Full AA for 26,200. This seems very crazy where is all this money going? I could go on decent vacation or purchase a new car for this kind of dough.

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me.

I remember asking in my nativity if it would be hard to find a home for my baby. I think I asked "what happens if no one wants him" and the agency worker said something along the lines of, "Oh no. You're baby will have a wonderfully unique blend of races (he's 50% Caucasian, 25% Hispanic, and 25% AA). He's going to be so beautiful and exotic. Everyone will want him." At the time I was relieved and now I'm just.....ugh.

Retrospection is not a pretty thing.

I'd love to ask this agency why the prices are different for different races. I can only imagine the answer I'd get.

A sad, but all too true reality of adoption. If you are working with a reputable adoption agency, they will not have their fees associated with the race of the child. The agency that we are working with has flat fee, regardless of wheter we end up adopting an african american baby, or a caucasian baby.

• I think that is so terrible and wrong! All children deserve some to love and care for them regardless of their race. First of all I think it's horrible that the agency is advertising the prices of the kids like that as if adoption is really all about "buying" children. A lot of people think adoption is about people who want to buy kids but (and you can call me naive) but I really honestly believe that there are people who want to give homes to kids who need them and I think that makes the process of adoption seem so disgusting which I don't believe it really is. However racist that particular agency is, I don't believe adoption is an industry that is racist as a whole. There are a lot of interracial families that come to be together due to adoption. I think that I would choose another agency or way to adopt rather than an agency that trivializes something that can be really great and makes it seem as though African American kids are less worth love.

Reading this makes me sick to my stomach.

I adopted my daughter through private adoption. Before her first mother asked us to adopt her we had decided not to adopt a newborn because the entire system made us ill. We wanted nothing to do with it.

I really had no idea the agencies were this blatant, but I'm not that surprised.

Source(s): adoptive mother

Prices on the heads of babies...barf-o-rama.

But it makes me wonder why people are going to Africa to bring back babies when there are African-American babies on the market right here at home?

I also wonder what kind of return policy they have....30-day money back guarantee?

How about a warranty....free 5-year maintenance plan on all purchases?

Racism in the human trafficking business, sadly, no surprises there.

Wow, that's just low.

They aren't vehicles! I would never deal with a agency like that even if I was adopting a infant.

Yes, it is true that "dark skin" babies aren't exactly "flying off the shelves, but pricing them like that...I really don't know what to say.

Unfortunately, demand is what makes this a racist practice......because more people want Caucasian, Latino, Asian and East Indian babies the prices are higher......if more people wanted AA babies, they would absolutely raise the prices.

What disturbs me most is that ANY babies are being sold for profit....that ANYONE would place a monetary value on a child, and that ANY kind, decent, loving person would purchase an infant. There are millions of children in foster care who legitimately have no viable family who can care for them. Infants have mothers in nearly every case.....and with 20,000, they could actually do a lot to raise the child themselves.

<<Foster to adopt mommy of AA child.

My husband, myself, and his ex-wife are white. My husband and ex adopted an African American boy at 3 months and a bi-racial girl at 2 months, they are 18 and 15 now. Their fees were *thousands* less than what you posted.

The agency told them that there are so many African American kids and that makes them harder to adopt out. For my step-daughter (this part disgusts me), they said that bi-racial kids are in the "special needs" group, meaning they are grouped with kids that have severe disabilities, because African American families don't want them because they are part white and (in my opinion, shallow) white people don't want them because they look black.

The cost of adopting from foster care is far less than agency fees and I am not opposed to adopting from agencies, but a child is a child whether it be black, white, latino, purple with green polka dots and they all need homes; since they have to have a "fee" I think there should be a set fee for *all* kids! And one that is reasonable.