Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What's in the Suitcase in Pulp Fiction?

I love Pulp Fiction. It's probably my favorite movie. But I must have missed something cause even with as many times as I've watched it, I still have no idea what's in the suitcase.

So what's in it, and tell me where you heard that from so I can check it please.

Favorite Answer

Quentin taratino has never said what it is, but the general assumption is that it is marcellus' soul (please note that the combination to the case is "666")

Gold and /or diamonds, I guess.... from the glow!

I have read Tarantino said that there is no explanation to what is in the briefcase it was written into the script as a Mcguffin, a plot device. Originally the plot was written with the briefcase full of diamonds but Tarantino decided the contents would never be see and each person could come to their own conclusions as to what was in the case. Apparently someone put the orange bulb in the suitcase and people took the light for a supernatural thing.

An orange light bulb......wat ever you think it is, that is what it is.

Speculation abounds as to the nature of the mysterious glowing contents of the case: - Could it be Elvis's gold suit, seen worn by Val Kilmer (as Elvis) in True Romance (1993)? - The most persistent theory (most usually attributed to a friend of a friend who saw it posted on a message board by someone whose brother had read a report of a radio interview with Tarantino himself) is that it is Marcellus Wallace's soul. The story goes that when the Devil takes a person's soul, it is removed through the back of the head (this isn't part of any known religion, but this is what the message board posters say). When we see the back of Marcellus's head he has a Band-Aid covering the precise spot indicated by tradition for soul removal. Perhaps Marcellus sold his soul to the devil which would also explain why the combination to open the briefcase is 666. - Quentin Tarantino has said that the band-aid on the back of Marsellus Wallace's neck had nothing to do with an allusion to the Devil stealing Marsellus's soul... but that the actor Ving Rhames had a scar on the back of his neck he wanted to cover up. - Or could it be simply a 20-watt light bulb? - According to Roger Avary, who co-wrote the script with Quentin Tarantino, the original plan was to have the briefcase contain diamonds. This seemed neither exciting nor original, so Avary and Tarantino decided to have the briefcase's contents never appear on screen; this way each filmgoer could mentally "fill in the blank" with whatever struck his or her imagination as best fitting the description "so beautiful". The orange light bulb (projecting shimmering light onto the actors' faces) was a last-minute decision and added a completely unintended fantastic element. - In a radio interview with 'Howard Stern' in late 2003, Quentin Tarantino was asked by a caller the contents of the briefcase, and he answered, "It's whatever the viewer wants it to be."

• It is cocaine. The gold colored glow when opening the case could be caused by the gold wrapping around marcellus' cocaine bulk packs [see Mia Wallace fist scene when Vincent comes to pick her up, the coke she is sniffing is next to open gold Paper wrapped packets. Also drugs are said to take your soul. [See briefcase combo] lastly when Vincent goes to lances house to buy heroine, Lance etells him of the resurgence of heroine and how coke is dead as dead. If you look at the coke starting at brads house they all die. it get from there to marcellus house. Look then all the bad that happens to Marcellus after getting the case back from Vincent and Jules at the bar, it makes sense that his wife almost dies, he gets doible.crossed by butch, he gets hit by a car, beat up and raped, marcellus represents the death of cocaine's popularity. Jules walks away from the business, drugs, and he lives, has no clue what's next but lives. Vincent stays the course and dies also. Solved

WOW ALL THESE COMMENT AND IM THE ONLY SMART ONE its marcells soul and those guys were the devils helpers and the man in the bathroom with the gun missed because it was divine intervention because they were saving a soul from the devil and that why the briefcase code was 666 haha wow cant belive no one knew that am i really that smart? jk you could have just googled and found out like i did i just my brain haha just kidding

Source(s): snopes.com

you are not supposed to know whats in the suitcase. Its not important to the development of the storylines. Think about it how would knowing what it is change your perception of anything having to do with the story? even if you know that the item is valuable or not it doesn't change how the characters react to it. All we know is that they need the case, and that should be enough because thats the only important story point. if the contents played a role in the story then they would have been shown.

The maltise falcon

The codes to Nostradamus's Quatrains

The questions pretty much been answered the best it ever will be by "a lightbulb" because really... there is no other answer.

But... here's a link which explains it much better if you'd like

http://www.guttermonkey.com/Pulp_Fiction_Whats_In_...

The ark of the covenant

It's my favorite movie to. The writer leaves it to the viewers imagination to decide what's in the briefcase. I was thinking gold?