Is Stephanie Meyer the next J.R. Tolkien?

I like them both!

Favorite Answer

Meyer vs Tolkien..... I have seen them both in bathing suits and neither one is something to brag about. I will wait for the formal gown event before making a judgement.

NO! Absolutely not! Yes, the Twilight books were entertaining, but Tolkien did more than just churn out simple books meant to briefly entertain his audience. He invented complete languages, for crying out loud!

Their styles are inherently different. Not just their writing styles (Tolkien's being far more scholarly), but their mental approach to their stories. Tolkien created his 'world' first and wrote the stories from that. Meyer has stated that her characters and story world are basically created as she goes, meaning that she doesn't create something until it's needed. Her stories, characters, and 'world' are superficial, whereas Tolkien's is so unbelievably complex we're still discovering new things about his stories.

Meyer is a successful author who has made a killing selling her stories for entertaining. But that's all it is. Besides making the vampire romance story more popular, Meyer hasn't done anything that hasn't been done before.

I'm sorry if I'm being overly critical, I'm really not trying to rip Meyer a new one. I like Twilight as much as anyone. But she doesn't belong in the same class as Tolkien.

I love Stephenie Meyer, but I really don't think she can reach Tolkien. Tolkien was a genius and he created fantasy as we know it today. What did Meyer create? Nothing that was original. She took some vampire-things from Anne Rice (like the animal blood drinking thing) and her writing is too simple.

Meyer definitely has a vast following, and is very popular. Her books might even have a lasting appeal. But you mustn't forget this: Tolkien invented Orks. He invented Hobbits, and decided that magical power mutates people into psychos, and decided that Dwarves have massive beards. He invented an entire damned genre, all by himself. Meyer, meanwhile, messed around with vampires (albiet very creatively), a concept almost a hundred years old. You can't really compare the two.

Haha yeah right. She is NOWHERE even near the author that J. R. R. Tolkien was. A lot of people might like her books but that does not make her any good.

EDIT: She is absolutely NOT the next Anne Rice either.

I don't think so. It's not that I disliked her books- I loved them- but they just don't reach the same standards as books by people like J.R. Tolkien.

J.R.R.T. invented the fantasy genre as we know it today - without him, there would be no maps or songs or poems or languages or separate worlds in fantasy, nor would our contemporary concepts of elves and dwarves exist. He revolutionized the fantasy genre.

I think it's safe to say that Stephenie Meyer is not, nor will ever be, the next Tolkien.

Four words: Oh. Goodness. Gracious. NO

Stephenie Meyer isn't exactly on the same level as J. R. Tolkein. He created an actual WORLD for his series

Nope... I have a friend that knows Steph and she has no desire to stay in the spotlight and turn out like Paris, Britney, Lindsay etc. She is going to start dating Greg Jonas and not be swayed by the crazed media attention. JR will have to remain in the spotlight and deal with the spiralling down of her career

Stephenie Meyer's books belong in a different category, maybe the next Anne Rice. I have never liked comparing authors, she might be statistic wise, but who knows.