Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jewish friends: Let's have a little fun. Have you heard about these new Yiddish words?

Jewbilation (n.) Pride in finding out that one's favorite celebrity is Jewish.

Torahfied (n.) Inability to remember one's lines when called to read from the Torah at one's Bar or Bat Mitzvah. (OR from the Hagadah at Passover)

Matzilation (v.) Smashing a piece of matzo to bits while trying to butter it.

Bubbegum (n.) Candy one's mother gives to her grandchildren that she never gave to her own children.

Chutzpapa (n.) A father who wakes his wife at 4:00 a.m. so she can change the baby's diaper.

Déjà Nu ( n.) Having the feeling you've seen the same exasperated look on your mother's face, but not knowing exactly when.

Disoriyenta (n.) When Aunt Linda gets lost in a department store and strikes up a conversation with everyone she passes.

Goyfer ( n.) A Gentile messenger.

Hebort (v.) To forget all the Hebrew one ever learned immediately after one's Bar or Bat Mitzvah.

Jewdo (n.) A traditional form of self-defense based on talking one's way out of a tight spot.

Mamatzah Balls (n.) Matzo balls that are as good as your mother used to make.

Meinstein - slang. "My son, the genius!"

Mishpochadots (n.) The assorted lipstick and make-up stains found on one's face and collar after kissing all one's aunts and cousins at a reception.

Re-shtetlement (n.) Moving from Brooklyn to Miami and finding all your old neighbors live in the same condo building as you.

Rosh Hashana-na-na ( n.) A rock 'n roll band from Jewish Brooklyn.

Yidentify (v.) To be able to determine Jewish origins of celebrities, even though their names might be St. John, Curtis, Davis or Taylor.

Minyastics (n.) Going to incredible lengths and troubles to find a tenth person to complete a Minyan.

Feelawful (n.) Indigestion from eating Israeli street food, especially falafel.

Dis-kvellified (v.) To drop out of law school, med. school or business school as seen through the eyes of parents, grandparents and Uncle Sid. In extreme cases, simply choosing to major in art history when Irv's son David is majoring in biology is sufficient grounds for diskvellification.

Impasta ( n.) A Jew who starts eating leavened foods before the end of Passover.

Kinders Shlep (v.) To transport other kids besides yours in your car.

Schmuckluck (n.) Finding out one's wife became pregnant after one had a vasectomy.

Shofarsogut (n.) The relief you feel when, after many attempts, the shofar is finally blown at the end of Yom Kippur.

Trayffic Accident (n.) An appetizer one finds out has pork in it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Favorite Answer

"Matzilation (v.) Smashing a piece of matzo to bits while trying to butter it."

I am glad that there is finally a word for that.

Isn't that Yinglish and Hebrenglish as opposed to Yiddish?

LoL,all really funny..Thought I was the only Jewish person that did Matzilation HaHa Glad to know otherwise *G*

How about Jewget? Getting a divorce in Judaism..For my Christian friends,a 'get' is a Jewish divorce..Ok not that funny but I tried,oy veh

• Hodaya

Dis-kvellified!!!! LOL! I love that one!

And also Meinstein and Minyastics :) LOL LOL

Laughing out loud with tears in my Gentile eyes.

Thank you.

Oh my gosh, I'm Gentile but can relate to so many of these experiences, lol! Thanks for the good laugh!

Hilarious and so true!

RJ - I so identified with Matzilation as well!

Cute! :)

I've seen these before, but they're always good for a reread!

I'm not Jewish, but thank you for a good laugh :)

Nice one.