Former Christians - how have your ethics changed since leaving Christianity?

I find that I'm a much more ethical person. I still don't steal, kill etc, but I find that I'm much more particular about lying. I never do it now. Also, I'm a much more tolerant person. Many Atheists I know are also very giving, as I try to be. When someone is in trouble, we can't "pray" for them, so we act on their behalf.

In which ways have your ethics changed?

Favorite Answer

For me, the ethics really haven't changed so much as the reasons for my ethical behavior have. I used to not lie and steal because of fear and guilt. I don't lie and steal now because I don't want to be the kind of person that adds that to the world around me. I know the problems my actions can cause, so I take responsibility for making my world a better place.

Interesting question. I am not an atheist or a christian.

I don't know that I am more ethical, per se. The differences in how I think ethically stem from no longer assuming I have all the answers written in a book for me. I therefore do not judge it wrong to be homosexual, for instance. Also, I do not put a love for a religion above a love for the people around me. That sort of thing. I think I value human life and the well-being of the planet in general much more than Christianity does. Modern evangelicals do not stress the stewardship aspect of humans and the earth, but rather think in terms of an inevitable armageddon which leads to lack of concern for the ecological welfare and peace.

Don't know that one can be a former Christian any more than one can be a former Marine. Actually, being raised Roman Catholic, I will never shed the ethics/catechism/ and some of the guilt which was drummed into me at an early age by the good nuns. At this point I'm more or less agnostic. However, I do pray on occasion and have learned to not "lean on my own understanding" as more than one spiritual guide instructs us. But neither do I lean on the dogma or understanding of ministers, gurus, and "holy men." Actually, I believe that the Golden Rule, the Serenity Prayer; and the Prayer of St Francis are good guides for everyone. I simply "pray" for the mercy of the Universe- my word-for all. Do my best, but leave the results up to whatever powers (or not) there are

Although I am not sure I would call myself a full fledged former christian there was a time where I was attending church and trying to discover my spiritual path and was following the teachings. (I can not say I was a christian for the fact I never fully felt it).

But one thing that I was really enlightened on and have made a conscious effort not do do was be so judgmental. I truly feel the more religious one is the more judgmental they are. A lot of church gossip and talking behind others back.

• Power

I think I felt security in a group & under the name of relgion which without that I have to love everyone not just my cronies. I have to look past the walls to the wholeness of the universe. There is a security that isn't there so I have to feel secure within myself. I am more ethical because I see everyone as a child of the same energy not just my group.

Since I have been a witch for as long as I can remember, my ethics have always been quite high. I know that I am responsible for my own actions, can't blame the devil or ask God to forgive me. I am very aware that what I do is going to come back times 3. I help others when I can and all I ask is that they "pay it forward"

BB

)O(

Yes. They have improved. I do not believe that I can just ask the magical sky fair for forgivness when I comitt some wrong, so I am more careful in my actions and words.

Now by christian standards I now comitt a few additional 'sins' as I enjoy an occaisional cocktail and the occaisional cohiba, but my ethics have actually improved.

• I figured morals had little to do with religious dictates. Its better for society if people behave decently, give to those who are needy etc. Altruism in a group is something that helps that group's survival, one of the evolutional theories of altruistic behaviour. So i figure that being a good person *is* natural behaviour, no need to invoke a sky being.

The site is telling me that I must be on level 2 to answer a question on this site. Since when do you have to pass a test (or pay a fee) to express an opinion??? That just makes me question authority (that's a real oxymoron!) even more than before.

Sad, but true.

Source(s): Yahoo answers, but they won't let me post because I'm not level 2. Whatever..............

While technically I don't fit your target demographic (lol, not "former"), I do find your question interesting. Thus the star . . . a few of my Contacts may like it.

I find interesting, though (and not in a bad way), the fact that you said "can't pray" as opposed to "don't pray." I know Christians that don't pray -- heck, I used to be one of 'em -- but none of us say that we "can't pray" as far as I know. To be honest, it sounds like you (atheati in general, since you say "we") feel forbidden by someone other than yourselves. As I said, interesting.

Have a great day!